Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2008, 06:19 PM

1 posts, read 5,351 times

Advertisements

We live in Arizona - I know that in our state, if you have your original mortgage and you foreclose, the lenders can not come after you for the money. However, does anyone know how it works with a refinanced mortgage? We refied a few years ago & have a 20/80 and have been hit with two medical disasters, so we don't have a lot of options. We will be going to an attorney, I just thought if anyone could shed some light on this, it could help. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 01:28 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,692,605 times
I am sure the advice your attny will give you will surpass anything posted here. Good luck you you and I hope things settle down.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:49 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,830,094 times
Non-recourse only applies to purchase money. Refi money is absolutely full recourse.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:24 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,884,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
Non-recourse only applies to purchase money. Refi money is absolutely full recourse.
While refi money might be full recourse, I have never ever ever heard of a bank going after someone for money after a foreclosure. Not saying it doesnt happen, but if you cant pay your mortgage, why would a bank spend thousands more coming after someone to get a judgment against them, when there is no assets to attach.. (you already lost your home.)

Old 04-22-2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
While refi money might be full recourse, I have never ever ever heard of a bank going after someone for money after a foreclosure. Not saying it doesnt happen, but if you cant pay your mortgage, why would a bank spend thousands more coming after someone to get a judgment against them, when there is no assets to attach.. (you already lost your home.)
That is an entirely different issue. I simply answered the OP's question.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:22 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,884,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
That is an entirely different issue. I simply answered the OP's question.
Yes, but without all of the information. They COULD come after someone, doesnt mean they do.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Yes, but without all of the information. They COULD come after someone, doesnt mean they do.
I answered with all of the factual information I had. Banks have been known to go after people. Not consistently, and not on a large scale. However, I will leave assumptions about what the bank may or may not do to someone else. Refi money in the state of AZ is recourse, anything else will have to be hashed out between the OP, their lender, and their lawyer.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:18 PM

5 posts, read 14,611 times
I spoke to an Atty and to a Banker that is very experienced on foreclosures. They both told me that 99.9 % of the time, they go for the home unless you have a pot of gold in your backyard. I believe the banker called it the " One action rule" meaning go for you or your home. I speak for CA only. Regardless if what I say is true or not, why the heck won't you get professional advice on something as big as this? I still need to meet with a CPA or Tax Atty. This is money worth spending for something that can kick your butt financially if you do something wrong.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:37 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,891,831 times
in ohio, they want the judgement... maybe they figure you might come into money later on.. plus the statute of limitations on this is strange... the second lienholder has a year to obtain the judgement from the foreclosure date, once they do that .. the statute of limitations is 15 years..providing it is renewed every 5

Old 08-28-2008, 10:29 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,908,977 times
they will come after people, they will just attach judgments onto those with good credit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages