Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 10:39 AM

271 posts, read 1,061,301 times

Advertisements

Ok, i will try to make this short. This afternoon we are going to fill out paper to purchase a new home, we've already given a check to put a hold on the lot. So, here's my situation.

Originally we were looking at spending around 230,000, our plan was to just have my boyfriend on the loan, he has a score of 744, would qualify for fha, and according to his income he qualifies up to 262,000.

Ok, so we found a new construction home for 190,000, but since all these new homes pretty much come bare bones, no upgrades, atleast with this home. We've decided to add up to 100,000 in upgrades. So, in order for us to qualify for that amount i would need to get on the loan.

Here's my situation, i have a house that was gifted to me by my parents, it was supposed to go to me after they passed away, however due to certain circumstances, my parents needed to sign the house over to me now. On the grant deed, it does state that it was gifted, that was 3yrs ago. Just this past week i closed on a refi of the house, this is the loan type i got
conventional/full alt fnma 30yr fixed (212). My mom still lives in the house, but on the loan docs of course it stated that i reside there.

so here are my questions

will having this refi, cause me problems on this new loan?
can i still qualify for fha loan?
is the downpayment based on the base price of the home, or from the total after the upgrades?
what would be the upside to doing a conventional vs fha?
my boyfriend's anual income is 82,000, from my calculations he should qualify for 262,000, does that sound right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 10:48 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,588,833 times
the automated system will red flag your account because you claimed a primary residence with another property in the last 6months.

fha loan - i doubt it. Most loan officers will think you're committing fraud.
Downpayment is from the purchase price of the home.
Adding upgrades will increase the price of your home.........

It is recommended that you dont buy a house more than 3times your income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochick View Post
Ok, i will try to make this short. This afternoon we are going to fill out paper to purchase a new home, we've already given a check to put a hold on the lot. So, here's my situation.

Originally we were looking at spending around 230,000, our plan was to just have my boyfriend on the loan, he has a score of 744, would qualify for fha, and according to his income he qualifies up to 262,000.

Ok, so we found a new construction home for 190,000, but since all these new homes pretty much come bare bones, no upgrades, atleast with this home. We've decided to add up to 100,000 in upgrades. So, in order for us to qualify for that amount i would need to get on the loan.

Here's my situation, i have a house that was gifted to me by my parents, it was supposed to go to me after they passed away, however due to certain circumstances, my parents needed to sign the house over to me now. On the grant deed, it does state that it was gifted, that was 3yrs ago. Just this past week i closed on a refi of the house, this is the loan type i got
conventional/full alt fnma 30yr fixed (212). My mom still lives in the house, but on the loan docs of course it stated that i reside there.

so here are my questions

will having this refi, cause me problems on this new loan?
can i still qualify for fha loan?
is the downpayment based on the base price of the home, or from the total after the upgrades?
what would be the upside to doing a conventional vs fha?
my boyfriend's anual income is 82,000, from my calculations he should qualify for 262,000, does that sound right?

Old 04-25-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
the automated system will red flag your account because you claimed a primary residence with another property in the last 6months.

fha loan - i doubt it. Most loan officers will think you're committing fraud.
Downpayment is from the purchase price of the home.
Adding upgrades will increase the price of your home.........

It is recommended that you dont buy a house more than 3times your income.

ok, im still confused, do you mean i shouldn't be put on the loan whatsover? or i wont qualify for fha?, i don't understand.
and if i'm residind in one home, as your'e stating i can't purchase another home?

Old 04-25-2008, 11:07 AM

FHA does allow 'non-occupant' co-borrowers...but can only use like 80% of your income. This is also up to the Underwriter's discretion.

You can't claim 2 residences as primary properties.

Quote:
ok, im still confused, do you mean i shouldn't be put on the loan whatsover? or i wont qualify for fha?, i don't understand.
and if i'm residind in one home, as your'e stating i can't purchase another home?

Old 04-25-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
FHA does allow 'non-occupant' co-borrowers...but can only use like 80% of your income. This is also up to the Underwriter's discretion.

You can't claim 2 residences as primary properties.

So if i wer'e listed as a co-borrower, could i still be on the title?

Old 04-25-2008, 11:33 AM

yes...but it will be up to the U/W

Quote:
So if i wer'e listed as a co-borrower, could i still be on the title?

Old 04-25-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
yes...but it will be up to the U/W

thanx for the info, it gives me an idea as to what options we may have when we meet with the lender today.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:30 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
You will most likely need to have your mother sign a lease saying that she's renting the property that she lives in so that you can move your primary home to the new house.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:35 PM

most lenders do not accept leases that are from family members.
They will probably accept it if it was file in the tax returns only.

Claiming 2 primary residences within a short period of time is a huge red flag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You will most likely need to have your mother sign a lease saying that she's renting the property that she lives in so that you can move your primary home to the new house.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:44 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,848,281 times
Just to add a bit of geography specific insight, California is a community property state. As such, your debt obligations will need to be considered when calculating your DTI ratio. Even if you are not on the loan, your credit will be run. The fact that you own another primary residence will raise a huge red flag. Is the LO you are working with aware of the other property? If so then you might want to talk to another lender, as I don't think that this will fly as an FHA loan. If not then be sure to make him/her fully aware of your total scenario. I know this because NV is a community property state as well and I have run into this situation (not exactly but very similar) before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages