Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 10:48 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,959,082 times

Advertisements

Especially as a "new investor", 0-5% down is usually a risky option. It is almsot sure there will be negative cash flow if you are planning to rent it out. If you are planning a flip, you need really need serious reserves and a backup plan if the sale does not go through.

Also, although there are still 0-5% down options for owner occupied homes.... I don't really know any investment programs with <10% down payment and substantial reserves/credit/income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 11:33 AM

260 posts, read 942,368 times
I would like the name of the lenders that still have -0-5% down payments...please private message me...I am moving soon, and would rather spend this money I got into a down payment for a house than renting. It will be cheaper to buy than rent...by my credit is kinda crappy. Darn it...

Old 07-24-2008, 11:38 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,537,846 times
FHA will allow it...

Old 07-24-2008, 11:57 AM

260 posts, read 942,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
FHA will allow it...
I thought about it...but it is so hard to get a competent broker to work with me and my husband. My credit is looking up, gettting better and I really don't have much debt (except student loans) problem is, I'm not the bread winner in my house, my husband is the one that has the income but his credit has gotten a little crappy in the past few months. We are moving, because he is getting a new job and taking a pay increase of $25,000 once he get out the Navy next month.
I just wish there was something we could do...for sure...we could put down 5% on a house...I rather do that than give it to the "rent" man with the deposits, pet deposits and all that stupid crap...and still pay rent upwards of $1500 for a house big enough for my family.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:03 PM

5,338 posts, read 14,071,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayamyers View Post
I thought about it...but it is so hard to get a competent broker to work with me and my husband. My credit is looking up, gettting better and I really don't have much debt (except student loans) problem is, I'm not the bread winner in my house, my husband is the one that has the income but his credit has gotten a little crappy in the past few months. We are moving, because he is getting a new job and taking a pay increase of $25,000 once he get out the Navy next month.
I just wish there was something we could do...for sure...we could put down 5% on a house...I rather do that than give it to the "rent" man with the deposits, pet deposits and all that stupid crap...and still pay rent upwards of $1500 for a house big enough for my family.
So, it's the brokers fault that you and your husband have credit issues?

Recent late payments are going to be a real problem no matter who your broker is.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:18 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,959,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayamyers View Post

If he was in the Navy you can look into a VA loan, but its going to be hard if "his credit has gotten a little crappy in the past few months".

That statement needs a lot more clarification. Its not about being a "competent" broker, a half-way "competent" broker, lender and underwriter would worry about how someone with recent problems paying their bills is going to make the house payments on time. If you have 5% ready to put down on a new home, the first step is to use it to pay the bills you already have. Not trying to be mean or anything, but its what any "competent" financial advisor or lender will ask to see.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:58 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,927,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
So, it's the brokers fault that you and your husband have credit issues?

Recent late payments are going to be a real problem no matter who your broker is.
Borrowing from a quote:

"D'oh. This is everyone else's fault but mine"

- Homer Simpson

Old 07-30-2008, 01:25 AM

3,373 posts, read 9,150,561 times
USAA is allowing it ...

Old 08-06-2008, 04:05 PM

70 posts, read 339,036 times
Default 5% down dead?

Not true....

We're getting ready to close on a new home with 7% down. Because we're going VA, we could have gone with 0% down.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:07 PM

658 posts, read 824,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intelligent_discussion View Post
I was watching CNN and they had a man on who said that to get a mortgage for a home you need at least 20% down regardless of your credit rating FICO score. The Reporter did not challenge him on this statement. I can not believe that this is true. Is the 5% and 10% down mortgage gone. How many first time homeowners can afford a 20% down payment?
With great credit you can get any loan you want. Gone are the times when people spending half of their income on housing can get a loan. The purpose of the 80/20 loan was to avoid mortgage interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages