U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-04-2008, 05:46 PM

37 posts, read 160,970 times
Question can pmi differ b/t lenders? June 1 problems?

After a weird first mortgage experience, and lots of research for a second mortgage experience, I know that I know enough to be confused! I am getting differing answers regarding PMI. I know the PMI basics (not having 20% down, etc.) and how it differs between FHA and Conv, but

(1) can PMI differ between lenders? At first I thought the rates were set by a standard formula, but now I've been told it can depend on the lender. Can they vary between lenders? If one lender has a very high PMI does this mean they made a lot of risky loans in the past and are now having to charge higher premiums on their current products?

(2) I have a GFE from the end of May with a low PMI. Now the June 1 revisions are out. Can that PMI amount change drastically?

(3) If a have a GFE, and at closing the lender says, "Oh, gee, I'm sorry, but I really miscalculated your PMI and it's quite a bit higher," is that allowed? How much can I trust the amounts on the GFE to be the same or very close at closing, as long as the info I provided hasn't changed?

I don't quite understand how the 3rd parties that underwrite PMI affect the pricing between lenders. I appreciate any help you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 07:27 PM

5,137 posts, read 11,149,816 times
1. Yes because every lender may use a different Private Mortgage Insurer.
There are at least 6 PMI companies that major lenders use. Lenders don't give the PMI. It is given from a private entity to the borrowers of a lender.

2. June 1st was the latest update from FNMA, and major PMI companies.
Since these companies are private they may update their guidelines with the flow of the economy or on their own terms. Also, a lender might've switch to another PMI company. A lender may use a couple of PMI companies due to different standard/policies for each PMI company.

3. If you're paying PMI, I would HIGHLY suggest that you look into a FHA loan. FHA MIP/PMI rates are fixed at 0.5% of the loan amount.

If your loan amount was 100k, then it would be 500annually.
100k x 0.5% = 500
500/12= 41.67 monthly

Quote:
Originally Posted by weartoomanyhats View Post
After a weird first mortgage experience, and lots of research for a second mortgage experience, I know that I know enough to be confused! I am getting differing answers regarding PMI. I know the PMI basics (not having 20% down, etc.) and how it differs between FHA and Conv, but

(1) can PMI differ between lenders? At first I thought the rates were set by a standard formula, but now I've been told it can depend on the lender. Can they vary between lenders? If one lender has a very high PMI does this mean they made a lot of risky loans in the past and are now having to charge higher premiums on their current products?

(2) I have a GFE from the end of May with a low PMI. Now the June 1 revisions are out. Can that PMI amount change drastically?

(3) If a have a GFE, and at closing the lender says, "Oh, gee, I'm sorry, but I really miscalculated your PMI and it's quite a bit higher," is that allowed? How much can I trust the amounts on the GFE to be the same or very close at closing, as long as the info I provided hasn't changed?

I don't quite understand how the 3rd parties that underwrite PMI affect the pricing between lenders. I appreciate any help you can give.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:12 PM

37 posts, read 160,970 times
We will be getting a 15 year mortgage, and will reach the 20% down mark not too long after closing. At 15% down, I've been given a PMI price of under $50 for a conv loan, not an FHA loan. Since we'll reach 20% down easily before the end of the year, I'm concerned about FHA where I have a large MIP financed into the body of the loan. That means we'll be paying too much money (that is not refundable, am I remembering that right?) for 3-4 months of mortgage insurance.

HOw does that sound?

Old 06-04-2008, 08:14 PM

5,137 posts, read 11,149,816 times
you're doing good, but remember that lenders are only required to cut off your PMI at 78%. You may have to hassle them to do it also

Quote:
Originally Posted by weartoomanyhats View Post
We will be getting a 15 year mortgage, and will reach the 20% down mark not too long after closing. At 15% down, I've been given a PMI price of under $50 for a conv loan, not an FHA loan. Since we'll reach 20% down easily before the end of the year, I'm concerned about FHA where I have a large MIP financed into the body of the loan. That means we'll be paying too much money (that is not refundable, am I remembering that right?) for 3-4 months of mortgage insurance.

HOw does that sound?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages