Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 06:57 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,969,936 times

Advertisements

As chet said (lots of good points), some loan officers like the "everyone qualifies" mentality. You approve everyone that looks okay based on a quick review and when they come back they hope for the best.

They figure why waste time actually reviewing the details, analyzing the situation and advising the buyer of options if they may never buy.... its a "free consultation" so they want to get it over and done fast. Then the client comes back with a purchase contract and the scramble begins to see if they can make it stick.

Some loan officers also rely TOO MUCH on the software. I can get the software to spit back an approval on a lot of people that won't qualify, by tweaking any number of factors. If I can not back up the data with documents later however, an underwriter will deny it. So while it is prudent to save the buyers, sellers and Realtors time and money by doing a thorough consultation some loan officers woudl rather take the easy route and save themselves time by performing a sub-par analysis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 07:03 PM

70 posts, read 229,250 times
Extremely helpful - thank you. This gave me some great insights to the process, and I appreciate it.

However in this case, Weichert is not only the real estate agent on buyer's side, but also the supposed "backer" of said loan/mortgage. Our lawyer has talked to Weichert and they keep swearing up and down (as they have from the beginning, when it was our real estate agent questioning them) that this couple will be approved for this type of loan. While I am skeptical on one end, I also don't see any benefit to Weichert (at this stage) to be so laid back about throwing their "pre-approval" around if it really won't go through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages