Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 07:46 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,779 times

Advertisements

Woman takes her own life after home foreclosed - Boston News, Massachusetts News, Weather & Sports Channel 7News WHDH-TV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 07:51 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,939,818 times
I don't think it's sad. I have no intention of reading the story.

A person who commits suicide is extremely selfish and self absorbed.

Good riddance.

Harsh, yes. True, yes.

A good friend of mine's husband killed himself in their home exactly 1 year and 3 days ago. He did it in the hallway just outside daughter's rooms. He was upset that his selfish and destructive behavior had his wife thinking of leaving him... at the very least she told him they needed marriage counseling. For this he killed himself.

She's better off. I feel sorry for those left behind, but only a little. Truly they are better off without that person in their lives.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:53 AM

947 posts, read 3,139,321 times
I didn't read the article either. I probably would change the channel if it were on the news. For someone to commit suicide their problems run a lot deeper than a mortgage note.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:18 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,403,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I don't think it's sad. I have no intention of reading the story.

A person who commits suicide is extremely selfish and self absorbed.

Good riddance.

Harsh, yes. True, yes.

A good friend of mine's husband killed himself in their home exactly 1 year and 3 days ago. He did it in the hallway just outside daughter's rooms. He was upset that his selfish and destructive behavior had his wife thinking of leaving him... at the very least she told him they needed marriage counseling. For this he killed himself.

She's better off. I feel sorry for those left behind, but only a little. Truly they are better off without that person in their lives.
To say good riddance is just uncalled for! Someone that goes to that extreme may be selfish but is also overwhelmed and sees no way out. I find your comment repulsive. Harsh - yes. True - yes

Old 07-23-2008, 08:38 AM

990 posts, read 2,556,922 times
I was once involved in a case where a young man took his life after breaking up with his girlfriend.

Sad but true.

Some people are just not prepared to deal with life. What should the rest of us do, insulate these people from any form of disappointment.

The sad part is these people have always been with us and always will be. You can attach any trigger event you like to what caused the suicide.

But ultimately, whether it was this event or another yet to come, it is likely that the suicide would have occurred.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:49 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
Some people have low tipping points. My heart goes out to her family.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:58 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,394 times
If you read the article you will find that the woman displayed more aspects
of OCD and martrydom than despondency. She not only FAXed the mortgage company ahead of time threatening them that "when they showed up to foreclose on the home, they would find her dead", but she also gave specific instructions that "family members to take the insurance money and pay off the debt." In addition, the husband stated she did all the bills and he hadn't the slightest idea they were having financial problems.

My point is that while the mortgage debt may have been the catalyst, this woman had significant mental health problems prior to the foreclosure and had not developed any communication/support within her relationship with her husband. The newspaper appears to be using a sad isolated incident to sensationalize the foreclosure/housing problem.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:22 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
She is an idiot... life insurance policies do NOT pay for suicide... she died for NOTHING... people who contemplate suicide always take things personally, they think the world revolves around them and when they die, the world moves on... its sad that suicidal people don't realize their lives are not "that" important... its sad but people move on...

Old 07-24-2008, 03:42 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
She is an idiot... life insurance policies do NOT pay for suicide... she died for NOTHING... people who contemplate suicide always take things personally, they think the world revolves around them and when they die, the world moves on... its sad that suicidal people don't realize their lives are not "that" important... its sad but people move on...
Although the rest of your post is worth ignoring the bolded part is simply not always true.
Many policies do pay and some have only a 2 year restriction

Old 07-24-2008, 08:15 AM

947 posts, read 3,139,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
If you read the article you will find that the woman displayed more aspects
of OCD and martrydom than despondency. She not only FAXed the mortgage company ahead of time threatening them that "when they showed up to foreclose on the home, they would find her dead", but she also gave specific instructions that "family members to take the insurance money and pay off the debt." In addition, the husband stated she did all the bills and he hadn't the slightest idea they were having financial problems.

My point is that while the mortgage debt may have been the catalyst, this woman had significant mental health problems prior to the foreclosure and had not developed any communication/support within her relationship with her husband. The newspaper appears to be using a sad isolated incident to sensationalize the foreclosure/housing problem.
That's just typical of the media - I think that they only want to sell newspapers and get ratings than to actually report the whole truth. So much of what they say is just partial truths that it's a wonder why I don't really "read" the newspaper anymore. I just scan it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages