U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-23-2008, 07:40 PM
 
51 posts, read 247,057 times
Reputation: 49

Advertisements

Hello...

I've been reading about the 203K's on the HUD site, because im considering 203K loan (borrowing 10K max)

I was under the impression, from reading on that site that the loans are lower in interest than conventional loans because they are insured by the Govt. But thus far, calling various banks and mortgage brokers i've been finding them MORE expensive. Does anyone know anything more about this?


Also, I'm a bit confused regarding the PMI/MI...the 1.5% i pay at closing of loan... will i be paying additional PMI/MI premiums on top of that? Would I be pre-paying the following year as well?

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-23-2008, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
5,137 posts, read 15,103,707 times
Reputation: 1008
The rates may vary per day compared to regular conventional loans.

The upfront MIP factor has changed recently, and you might want to make sure that you're still going to be paying 1.5% upfront, and the monthly fee of 0.5%. The monthly fee can go up to .55%, and the MIP range is 1.25-2.25%


Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyklang View Post
Hello...

I've been reading about the 203K's on the HUD site, because im considering 203K loan (borrowing 10K max)

I was under the impression, from reading on that site that the loans are lower in interest than conventional loans because they are insured by the Govt. But thus far, calling various banks and mortgage brokers i've been finding them MORE expensive. Does anyone know anything more about this?


Also, I'm a bit confused regarding the PMI/MI...the 1.5% i pay at closing of loan... will i be paying additional PMI/MI premiums on top of that? Would I be pre-paying the following year as well?

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2008, 08:49 PM
 
51 posts, read 247,057 times
Reputation: 49
thanks for your reply...oh i kjnow rates vary daily...but, i've been under the impression they are same or less than the daily rate, instead when i first started looking the loan officer at one of the banks told me it's actually .25% higher than a conventional loan. HUD site says its lower than a conventional loan...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2008, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
5,137 posts, read 15,103,707 times
Reputation: 1008
It varies...

In the last 3-4 months FHA was lower...
In the recent weeks it has been higher...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyklang View Post
thanks for your reply...oh i kjnow rates vary daily...but, i've been under the impression they are same or less than the daily rate, instead when i first started looking the loan officer at one of the banks told me it's actually .25% higher than a conventional loan. HUD site says its lower than a conventional loan...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2008, 01:57 PM
 
51 posts, read 247,057 times
Reputation: 49
hmm..im in los angeles and i've been looking since february, and the 203K interest has never been lower. Odd...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2008, 02:08 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
1,036 posts, read 3,629,791 times
Reputation: 503
Well the "standard" FHA loan program, 203b is typically lower than conventional loans.
The "rehab" FHA loan program, 203k is often a little higher than the 203b program (why the b and k, don't ask me).

Many lenders won't even do the 203k program. The main reason is that I have seen stats that ~30% of them end up in litigation. Either the contractor did not do adequate repairs, they estimates were too low, the work did not get done, etc.... then the home owner tries to drag the lender into the issue or stops makign payments. That makes the loan riskier than a "standard" loan, therefore the increased interest rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2008, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
1 posts, read 21,237 times
Reputation: 16
If you are interested in an FHA203K in the Los Angeles area, I do them. The advantages of a 203K for a rehab project are substantially better then any other alternative at this time, especially a full rehab (over $35,000). The greatest challenge to qualifying is that you (or a family member) must have enough documented income, Rates are NOT an issue for such a project for several reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 02:51 AM
 
Location: New York
427 posts, read 1,091,149 times
Reputation: 191
Is this the loan that has to be paid back in 6 months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2009, 12:24 AM
 
Location: Twin Cities, MN
10 posts, read 120,837 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyagerMan View Post
Is this the loan that has to be paid back in 6 months?
No. The work has to be completed within 6 months of closing. Perhaps that is what you are remembering.

Many investors require the work to be done within 3 months of closing for an FHA Streamline. HUD allows 6 months, but investors can have more stringent standards.

Three months is generally not a problem for the typical work repaired under 203K Streamline. I guess it could be a problem if it was outside work in Minnesota and the closing was in December

I originate 203K streamline renovation loans in MN, so I have to be thinking about such timing issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Philly
165 posts, read 752,914 times
Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Watland View Post
No. The work has to be completed within 6 months of closing. Perhaps that is what you are remembering.

Many investors require the work to be done within 3 months of closing for an FHA Streamline. HUD allows 6 months, but investors can have more stringent standards.

Three months is generally not a problem for the typical work repaired under 203K Streamline. I guess it could be a problem if it was outside work in Minnesota and the closing was in December

I originate 203K streamline renovation loans in MN, so I have to be thinking about such timing issues.
Does it take longer to get the 203k streamline approved than a typical mortgage? How long does it take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top