U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 08:43 AM

467 posts, read 1,483,492 times

Advertisements

Hello -

I've applied for a USDA mortgage. My lender has approved it, and submitted to the USDA for their underwriting. What usually happens next? Does the USDA follow the lender recommendations? Or could I expect a rejection even though the lender approved? This is for a Guaranteed loan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 09:04 AM

5,137 posts, read 14,638,718 times
USDA follows their own recommendations, and their own guidelines.
The lender needs to be within these measures to get your loan approved.

I would also apply for FHA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisalrenee View Post
Hello -

I've applied for a USDA mortgage. My lender has approved it, and submitted to the USDA for their underwriting. What usually happens next? Does the USDA follow the lender recommendations? Or could I expect a rejection even though the lender approved? This is for a Guaranteed loan.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:19 AM

so would a lender issue an approval (I have a commitment with conditions letter, the only condition being approval by the USDA) using the guidelines utilized by the USDA, or their own?

Old 07-24-2008, 09:21 AM

No lender will issue an approval on a government loan with THEIR guidelines. They HAVE to conform to the guidelines or it will be a portfolio loan.

Quote:
so would a lender issue an approval (I have a commitment with conditions letter, the only condition being approval by the USDA) using the guidelines utilized by the USDA, or their own?

Old 07-24-2008, 10:07 AM

so then if I'm following you, the lender would have used USDA guidelines to issue me an approval. They then send it to the USDA for their final say. So should I anticipate the USDA would also approve, since the lender would have used USDA guidelines in the first place?

Old 07-24-2008, 10:09 AM

Many lenders give 'conditional approvals' or 'preapprovals', but they don't all make it to closing. There are many lenders that are denying perfectly good loans because they want to take the 'cream of the crop', and be able to sell it to the investors.

Quote:
so then if I'm following you, the lender would have used USDA guidelines to issue me an approval. They then send it to the USDA for their final say. So should I anticipate the USDA would also approve, since the lender would have used USDA guidelines in the first place?

Old 07-24-2008, 10:11 AM

is a conditional approval and a commitment letter with conditions the same thing?

Old 07-24-2008, 10:14 AM

no.
Conditional approval means that they approved YOU, and will require more documentation to justify the information that's on the application.
Commitment letters are generally given when the borrower is approved to purchase a home, but it comes with the conditions that the home will be appraised, it's insurable, and has a clean title.

It will always be 'conditional' until the loan actually closes.

Quote:
is a conditional approval and a commitment letter with conditions the same thing?

Old 07-24-2008, 10:24 AM

4,066 posts, read 10,826,424 times
Quote:

All USDA loans are manually underwritten, which means you don't have any type of approval until the USDA underwriters go through it. Now a good lender will know what the guidelines are and will have a feeling of 'slam dunk/no problem', 'should work', 'borderline', or 'doubtful'. If he issued you a pre-approval for this loan type before underwriting and he is a good lender than you should be in the 'slam dunk' catagory.

These loans differ from others, because on other loan types we can get an automated underwriting approval (computer generated) before we actually send anything in to an actual underwriter.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:43 AM

3,583 posts, read 9,575,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
Many lenders give 'conditional approvals' or 'preapprovals', but they don't all make it to closing. There are many lenders that are denying perfectly good loans because they want to take the 'cream of the crop', and be able to sell it to the investors.
I guess my question then would be, is a preapproval worth anything? Based on your experience Renriq02, what percentage of preapprovals would you say never make it to a closing? Is it a high number?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages