U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:49 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,364,557 times

Advertisements

This also depends on your area and cost of living. In areas of higher cost of living it is not uncommon for the ratio to be slightly higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 12:33 PM

16,701 posts, read 18,917,881 times
I am just trying to figure "how much" of a house I can afford based on me and my wife's combined salary.... I figured the mortgage couldn't be higher than 30% of our income and I would like to build a house so I was wondering how much we could afford... it looks good so far, now we only need to save 30% of the downpayment to build it... which will take a while..

Old 07-25-2008, 01:07 PM

3,191 posts, read 8,036,824 times
evilnewbie
just my personal opinion here, but think twice about qualifying on 2 incomes. I know several people, family included, that used both incomes to purchase homes and have lost, or are close to losing their homes. Spouses lost their jobs and either could not find a new one or one that paid as much. Unless you just happen to be in a highly desirable job field where finding new work (hopefully in the same area)would be very easy, please be careful not to overextend yourselves. Sometimes less is more

Old 07-25-2008, 02:04 PM

Hehehe... me and my wife are in highly desired job fields, there wouldn't be a problem in finding another job... albeit this home would be our first and "last" home since I plan to retire there as well...

Old 07-25-2008, 02:20 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,127,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Hehehe... me and my wife are in highly desired job fields, there wouldn't be a problem in finding another job... albeit this home would be our first and "last" home since I plan to retire there as well...

Well pray you both stay able bodied and don't get sick/hurt and you BOTH will be able to work until retirement.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:28 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,873,544 times
Mine is around 20%. But I don't need a jumbo house just because I can get a loan for it. I don't know, maybe I just think differently than a lot of people out there.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:29 PM

9,113 posts, read 15,300,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I am just trying to figure "how much" of a house I can afford based on me and my wife's combined salary.... I figured the mortgage couldn't be higher than 30% of our income and I would like to build a house so I was wondering how much we could afford... it looks good so far, now we only need to save 30% of the downpayment to build it... which will take a while..
Its not just about salary....

Do you have kids or plan to?

Will both of you continue to work? Will your wife (or you) stay home? How about daycare costs?

How many months of an emergency fund do you have?

How long do you plan to live in the house? Will you look to "trade up"?

Are you frugal w/a strict budget, or does money burn a hole in your pocket?

How much debt do you have??

These are questions that needs to be added to the mix to make your decision on how much you can spend

Old 07-25-2008, 02:37 PM

I plan on hiring an au pair if I have kids, I plan to have a year's worth of emergency funds very soon, I will have disability insurance cause people in my field of work typically have it. I will not trade up, once I buy and build, its mine and my wife's home forever (or until we both die). Out of everyone I know, I have saved a LOT of money in a short amount of time (people call me "cheap", only because I don't spend money on them).... I have very little debt... my wife likes to create debt but I reign her in when she gets close to out of control... Based on under 30% of after taxes income, we could afford a house a bit under 2 M... I don't want "that" expensive of a house... maybe 1.2M... so even then it will be a bit more than 15% of our income.. which I think will be fine..

Old 07-25-2008, 03:43 PM

35 posts, read 115,863 times
My husband is in a high paying /desired career field but just because he MAKES alot of money We would NEVER buy a home according to his salary. We are retired military & we will be playing it safe. Our mortage payment,taxes & insurance will NOT be greater than his retirement check. My philosophy is if worse was ever to come we can always flip burgers until he finds work.

Everyone should have ATLEAST 6 months up to 1 year salary in the bank REGARDLESS if they are renting or if they own a home. People who don't maybe they are living a little on the high side than they should be.

I don't go by what experts / banks tell me what I can afford. I know what I CAN afford and choose to live well below our means.Just because you saved for a rainy day doesn't mean a thunderstorm won't roll in and wipe you out

Old 07-25-2008, 04:39 PM

3,191 posts, read 8,036,824 times
Good grief. Excuse me but I am gonna have to put my momma hat on.WHY do you need such an expensiive house??? Do you realize with that kind of money you could buy a small nation?
Seriously, why not buy something very affordable, invest the difference ( even if you put it in a mayonaise jar and bury it in the backyard) and live well below your means. Plan well for a rainy day. You can still live very comfortably without spending so much on a house. What does a million dollar house have that one more economically priced doesn't have?

ai yi yi! I guess I squeak to much when I walk...do what you want...good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages