U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 11:45 PM

88 posts, read 261,773 times

Advertisements

Thank you to everyone for the advice- I greatly appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 04:38 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,107,967 times
If you don't have mortgage insurance such as an FHA loan, you will have to consider that you may have to pay taxes on the difference between your short sale and the amount owed on your mortgage as income. You may want to negotiate that with your new employer.
Otherwise, I would suggest renting out your home and waiting until the market picks up. That will give you all sorts of opportunities in the future.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:46 PM

314 posts, read 413,298 times
Otherwise, I would suggest renting out your home and waiting until the market picks up.

I respectfully have to disagree with this statement. It is going to be YEARS before this housing market recovers. Is it practical to rent your house out that long? I don't think people realize the length it is going to take for a turn around.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:02 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,107,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoorecharlotte View Post
Otherwise, I would suggest renting out your home and waiting until the market picks up.

I respectfully have to disagree with this statement. It is going to be YEARS before this housing market recovers. Is it practical to rent your house out that long? I don't think people realize the length it is going to take for a turn around.
I am planning to do just that. Fortunately, my mortage payment including impounds is just a little less than the market demands in my area for rent.
Why should I throw away a good property when a little patience will pay off in the end. Fortunately, I have the resources to purchase my next home for cash in this depressed market. I realize not everyone is in this position. Twice in my life I have sold properties in California for nothing only to realize if I had waited a couple of years I could have cashed in. This is my last chance in life so this time I am going to wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages