U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 06:38 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,630,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I'll take my chances with the expert that has been through a rigorous higher education than with a person that just completed highschool. Completing highschool is not viewed as a huge accomplishment.

Why are realtors comparing themselves to attorneys anyway? They are nothing alike, the way I see it one is a salesman and the other is a legal advisor.

Umm... I have both a B.S and a Ph.D. and trained as a financial planner in addition to my training/education in the mortgage industry. Not all Realtors/mortgage brokers are salespeople and not all attorneys are experts and advisors. They are selling their services just like anyone else, and how many attorney jokes are there?

Completing high school might not be huge accomplishment to you, but we have had great politicians, business people and individuals that have a high school education or less. Education is important, but character and experience are also key and you don't get those in school.

I would rather work with an honest and educated person, but if I had to choose from the most educated or the most honest person... I think honesty can be more important in an advisor. Most of my employees are college educated, some even beyond that, but I wouldn't hire someone based solely on education. Some places hire purely based on salesmanship, but that is as true in the legal profession as in real estate.

Last edited by rcarrillo; 08-01-2008 at 06:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 07:12 PM

31,648 posts, read 55,416,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarrillo View Post
Umm... I have both a B.S and a Ph.D. and trained as a financial planner in addition to my training/education in the mortgage industry. Not all Realtors/mortgage brokers are salespeople and not all attorneys are experts and advisors. They are selling their services just like anyone else, and how many attorney jokes are there?

Completing high school might not be huge accomplishment to you, but we have had great politicians, business people and individuals that have a high school education or less. Education is important, but character and experience are also key and you don't get those in school.

I would rather work with an honest and educated person, but if I had to choose from the most educated or the most honest person... I think honesty can be more important in an advisor. Most of my employees are college educated, some even beyond that, but I wouldn't hire someone based solely on education. Some places hire purely based on salesmanship, but that is as true in the legal profession as in real estate.

Attorneys? I always look for the feller who can pound down the most Wild Turkey 101 on a 95 degree day without breaking a sweat.
I want to work with a cooooool customer.

Come on, fellers. It's Friday night!
Back to your caves or back to your families, as it fits.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:31 PM

13,751 posts, read 31,608,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
and the realtor has another interest....the realtor only gets paid if the contract is signed, sealed and the closing delivered.....and the pay check only comes when I sign and go forward so their is an certain interest that can influence the agent.
This is not always true. Some agents get paid upfront and some, like moi, can also be paid hourly. Just because you don't know about it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Generalizations are not good for the soul...

Old 08-01-2008, 08:26 PM

13,751 posts, read 31,608,375 times
Quote:
I'll take my chances with the expert that has been through a rigorous higher education than with a person that just completed highschool. Completing highschool is not viewed as a huge accomplishment.

Why are realtors comparing themselves to attorneys anyway? They are nothing alike, the way I see it one is a salesman and the other is a legal advisor.
Hey U knockin' my edukation?? I cans fill out yur paprwrk for y'all all legel like.

Actually this issue is such a huge debate in real estate right now. I know some agents think a bachelor degree should be required. I think the problem is that real estate is significantly more complex that it used to be and that the entry requirements haven't kept up in some states.

I know Oregon has some of the "tougher" standards and ours are 120 hours (passing tests for each section, 10-12 I think) and a 200 question test. You'd be amazed at how many people fail that.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:20 PM

8,489 posts, read 17,434,904 times
Quote:

You were the first one to make the comparison in this thread.

If it was not something you wanted to discuss they you should not have posted it on a message board.

Realtors and attorneys can handle quite a few of the same duties in a real estate transaction. That there would be reason enough to make comparisons.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:20 AM

25,352 posts, read 37,543,331 times
Maybe they should change it to the standard in Europe....2 years fulltime course for realtors and than the realtor is also an appraiser.
What doesn't make sense to me is why the realtor comes up with a listing price by pulling comp....than after the offer is accepted and in case the buyer needs a mortgage an appraisel is required.....and if you are not lucky the appraiser comes up with a different value for the home. I never gave it much thought but IMO it isn't so bad when realtors are appraisers or the other way around...just put the 2 professions together and it saves one hurdle. Realtors in Europe do also other appraisels next to listing and selling.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:18 AM

If I was the appraiser on a home I have listed then there would not be an appraisal needed because obviously I priced it right to begin with.

The reason an appraiser is needed is to have a second set of eyes on something as an oversight. You accussed Realtors of colluding with appraisers and now you want the agent to be the appraiser, does that make any sense?

Old 08-02-2008, 07:30 AM

5,969 posts, read 7,428,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Maybe they should change it to the standard in Europe....2 years fulltime course for realtors and than the realtor is also an appraiser.
What doesn't make sense to me is why the realtor comes up with a listing price by pulling comp....than after the offer is accepted and in case the buyer needs a mortgage an appraisel is required.....and if you are not lucky the appraiser comes up with a different value for the home. I never gave it much thought but IMO it isn't so bad when realtors are appraisers or the other way around...just put the 2 professions together and it saves one hurdle. Realtors in Europe do also other appraisels next to listing and selling.
As you can see by these posts, some Realtors continue to act as if they are licensed attorneys and licensed building inspectors. The reality check is that no matter how much you say you know about these subjects you are not licensed by the state to perform these services. A realtor should never replace an licensed attorney or licensed building inspector, these people are licensed to perform these services. Purchasing a home is the biggest investment you can make, hiring the right professionals is key. Never trust a realtor soley, you can have a realtor, but always hire an attorney and a building inspector to assist you.

It seems like many Realtors on this post are against higher standards of education? Why? Have you not seen the image of your profession go down the toilet? Realtors are seen no better then used car salesman by the majority of the public. Higher education standards would bring prestige back to the profession because not everyone would be able to be a part of it as it is today. The English standards that you mention bentlebee would be excellent if they were implemented in the US. 2 years of fulltime schooling would keep the people that are truly interested in the profession. I know that some realtors have bachelors degrees and more but when applied to being a realtor it is irrellavent, because a person with a GED could come and work right beside you.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
As you can see by these posts, some Realtors continue to act as if they are licensed attorneys and licensed building inspectors. The reality check is that no matter how much you say you know about these subjects you are not licensed by the state to perform these services. A realtor should never replace an licensed attorney or licensed building inspector, these people are licensed to perform these services. Purchasing a home is the biggest investment you can make, hiring the right professionals is key. Never trust a realtor soley, you can have a realtor, but always hire an attorney and a building inspector to assist you.

It seems like many Realtors on this post are against higher standards of education? Why? Have you not seen the image of your profession go down the toilet? Realtors are seen no better then used car salesman by the majority of the public. Higher education standards would bring prestige back to the profession because not everyone would be able to be a part of it as it is today. The English standards that you mention bentlebee would be excellent if they were implemented in the US. 2 years of fulltime schooling would keep the people that are truly interested in the profession. I know that some realtors have bachelors degrees and more but when applied to being a realtor it is irrellavent, because a person with a GED could come and work right beside you.
Please go back and reread the posts here and in other threads and you will see many, many posts from Realtors urging people to contact an attorney and making sure they get an inspection done. In fact I don't think I have seen even one post of an agent telling anyone that they do not need an inspection.

You also seem to have missed the posts from many on here calling for higher standards in the field.

Each career field has their good and bad apples. Just look at the journalists lately that have been found to be just making up stories. Did a higher education stop that from happening? No, It did not.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:54 AM

29,975 posts, read 34,587,203 times
Quote:
Realtors in Europe do also other appraisals next to listing and selling.
Sounds like a conflict of interest. I believe everyone in the business believes appraisers & inspectors should be independent of outside influences as much as possible. It's good to have unbiased professional eyes looking at the property.

Education .... the minimal requirements are just to get into the business. If an agent does not continue constant training & education the odds are they do not last in the business.

Dailyjournalist you seem to over look all the professions that do not require degrees. I assume you are a journalist and if anything you guys need a code of ethics. I don't believe your business is licensed and requires a degree as doctors, lawyers.

Talk about a profession that needs to clean up it's act, the media could use increased standards. Sounds like the pot calling the kettle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages