Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2008, 08:45 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times

Advertisements

I think it simpler than that.

The brokerages want hordes of agents at any skill level. And they get their way.

If someplace along the line the citizenry decides they want quality agents they will have little trouble achieving it.

Any such requirements or standards put the brokerage as we know it out of business. Likely they would have to go back to living off commission cuts rather than desk rent.

Be a different industry.

The citizenry however does not care...so it ain't gonna happen.

Don't blame the agents though...blame the citizenry...or the dopey citizenry as I describe them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 10:10 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Well that last sentence is your opinion!!! You should have put "IMO" behind it!!!
It is the truth so there was no need to put IMO.

Quote:
The reason for suggesting something that has proven to be working is to limit the people who have no experience and no know how and are the worst realtors there are. Many are very bad because of lack of education and on top of that lack of experience and their only motivation was to step in this business to make quick and easy money as it was a not long ago. Every simple person could sell a house, as a previous poster described and more so since if a realtor becomes an appraiser or the other way around, they need 2 years of full time education on both fields so nothing i said is contraditive, but you might need to read a little bit better.
Quote:
How many appraissers over valued the houses and were at the houses because they were asked to by a realtor and mortgage broker working all the time together?
Quote:
How many realtors knew appraisers who would apprais a house higher than others and always would call them instead of the once would come up with more reasonable appraisels.
You accuse Realtors of trying to get "their" appraiser involved to appraise the house high. You then say you think Realtors should also be appraisers.
I read fine, that is a contradiction.

Quote:
better control on licenses which stand for good behavior, not for delivering good work. I recently worked with a construcion company and checked out their license which I did with all the people I interviewd. Many turned out not even to be licensed, and I knew it didn't say much about the quality but if they are licensed you can check better if there were huge issues or not and at least I thought it stand for something.
The rest I checked by checking some referrals and talking to previous clients and I went with the company who had done work at houses of friends of mine and were very happy and I was very happy with the work they did at my house.

Appraisels can be adjusted if the house doesn't sell fast, but if both professions are combined and this person has a better and more intensive education, it will weed out the part timers who think they can make a quick buck and will make the profession more responsible and IMO get a better view from the public as in Europe, the realtor have a profession that people look at different than as they look at a car saleman and as previous posters have ompared that is what is happening right now. To save this profession something has to be going to change and first of all IMO that licenses are what they stand for: Good behavior and no convicted felons. If Walmart refused that realtor to get a job there and at the same time the realtor board of licensing gives out a license...that shows to me that I will hold Walmart to a better standard than a realtor in Florida. Too bad for all the good and honest once, because they deserve a better treatment.

"Appraisals can be adjusted if the house doesn't sell fast."? Is that how it works in Europe? If it is then I am glad we don't have that system.

Would you be happy if we just took all felons out back and put one behind their ear?

Old 08-02-2008, 10:10 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
As you can see by these posts, some Realtors continue to act as if they are licensed attorneys and licensed building inspectors. The reality check is that no matter how much you say you know about these subjects you are not licensed by the state to perform these services. A realtor should never replace an licensed attorney or licensed building inspector, these people are licensed to perform these services. Purchasing a home is the biggest investment you can make, hiring the right professionals is key. Never trust a realtor soley, you can have a realtor, but always hire an attorney and a building inspector to assist you.
Agreed, nor should those professions replace Realtors. If you'd get off your duff and research some of the previous threads you'd see most agents on here support more education.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
i was shocked to find out that it only takes 63 hours or sometimes less hours to become a realtor, that on it self tells me enough why so many do it on the side. In Europe it is only be done by full time realtors since nobody wants to spend so much money and 2 years for something that they do on the side. Many things are better over here but this isn't one of them and to me it is weird that a realtor comes up with a price by pulling comps...(if they even do so) and than an appraiseer comes up with a different value price. I'm not talking about todays market since there can be over a year between listing and closing, but in the time of the booming market it was not even similar. By making the realtor the appraiser at the same time or the other way around you make the profession of realtor more liable and more responsible.
i agree with you the profession of realtor is made by many realtors who didn't do their job, out to be nothing more than a car salesman and that is too bad for the really good realtors who have showed and still are showing that there is more to it.

By saying that journalist even come up with stories that aren't true says enough about how scared people who make these statements are that the truth is coming out. If I was a mortgage broker or a realtor and convicted felons were having the same kind of license and it made my license not worth much, I would be so mad and make sure that the good name I have would be standing for what it suppose to be standing for and not blaming people who proved that the license isn't saying anything about a clean background anymore.

Others have compared it with people working in retail who are felons, well I know that Walmart doesn't hire convicted felons, and more other retailers do the same.....What is funny, that if people are comparing realtors with retail...they must think that it is the same level...... It wasn't me.

I thought me running into a convicted felon was bad but that was one who fell through the lop hole, but over 4000 mortgage brokers...that shows something is terribly wrong
It doesn't "only" take 63 hours, there is still 2 tests that must be passed. I'm not saying it's enough, just saying it's more than drooling through a class.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarrillo View Post
I still want to know why attorneys keep getting mentioned as the pinnacle of truth and honesty because of their education. I think more than anything attorneys are a great example of how more education does not equal more integrity or service for clients.

Yes there are amazing attorneys, but some of the worst thieves (and not just the ones that became politicians) in the US today are attorneys. Also doctors that cheat Medicare or take comped trips from pharmaceutical companies in exchange for pushing their products.

You can have a high school degree or a doctorate, if you are a thief you will be one no matter how many ethics classes you take.

I believe that mortgage brokers need to have higher education standards. At a minimum lenders should have to take courses in finance, business management, economics and ethics/service. If you think that Realtor standards are bad, you should take a look at what is required in the lending business.

There are too many people that can not do basic math selling mortgages to people. But beyond government regulation and mandated education, the consumer should demand more. The government has to do nothing! If the consumer took the time to ask their Realtor or lender about their education, training, experience and background instead of who can quote the lowest rate or price, we wouldn't need the government to do it for us.
Tell me about those attorneys...I know plenty that don't have a clue about RE.
When some of them handle a closing or refi there will almost definately be title issues down the road.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:52 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
I have heard that getting a drivers license can be harder than in Fl in which it is a joke to get one. You drive around the DMV without going on the public road, you stay in the parking lot and make 2 stops at a stop sign, park between cones and off you go with your license.....I have seen a very old man that had to renew his license but couldn't read the sentences....the employee asked every one who was in the DMV office to give their glasses so the person could try and read it, which he couldn't....than they told him to go to a store with glasses and he would get it....That went on for at least 45 min. the man drove off in his car!!!!

Maybe in Fl all licenses are treated this way......even the test... you fail, well you can take it again the same day...so if that is the same for realtors, you fail for the test,... well take it again....so much for what the license is worth. I'm not talking about other States since I don't know about their laws but over here it is bad....and it makes it harder to find a good realtor...maybe the other coast is better than here in the Tampa area, but over here it is really bad, but of course there will be some good realtors over here as well, but it is hard to find them and by the time you find them you have already changed your opinion about realtors so much because of the experience you and others have about realtors. I was shocked to find out that hairdressers have so much more education before getting a license than a realtor. But I do understand now why many realtors over here have no clue what they are doing. '05 was the time most realtors started and selling a home back than wasn't a task...

Old 08-03-2008, 10:02 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
[quote=middle-aged mom;4707667]
Quote:
The realtors in Europe are appraissers and had to give an oath in court like lawyers do quote]

Again, Europe is huge. What countries are you talking about?
Just bumping this up for the third time to get Bentlebee's attention and response.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:55 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
[quote=middle-aged mom;4712664][quote=middle-aged mom;4707667]

Just bumping this up for the third time to get Bentlebee's attention and response.[/Q

England, The Netherlands, Belgium and probable more since many countries are united, like Belgium, The Netherlands and Luxembourg (benelux), etc.

I thought you knew when Dutch was mentioned...the speak that in The Netherlands and in a part of Belgium...Sout Africa has a part that speaks Dutch, but is almost a different language like also in Aruba where they speak Dutch. (Ned. Antillen)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages