U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 09:02 PM

4,852 posts, read 8,323,197 times

Advertisements

If they have recently contacted you, they already know you have applied for a mortgage. That cat is out of the bag. You can always negotiate.

In their letter, it should say they will not report for 30 days. You have this time to dispute the debt, show proof of payment. They are not to report the debt during this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 07:03 AM

6 posts, read 10,589 times
What I really don't understand is how they can come at me with this after almost three years. It is almost like they saw I was applying for a mortgage and decided to say I never paid the bill with the old company.

The amount is negligible really, they are saying that I owe $90. My fiance thinks I should wait until after we close on the 28th so as to not stir the pot. I did re-read the letter from the agency and it said that I had 30 days to dispute the claim and it had a blurb that this debt MAY affect my credit if I didn't contact them or pay the debt in full. So from that statement I'm thinking that it is not on my credit report yet.

Luckily I did pay it by debit card over the phone, so I would just need to get with my bank and order my statements from around that time. This will take some time, the bank said around 14 business days to get the statements as they don't have them readily available from that far back.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:34 PM

65 posts, read 215,935 times
Get the statements from your bank, close on the 28th and then contact them to dispute it (assuming that's inside the 30 day time frame).

Old 08-13-2008, 08:02 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,425,684 times
You'll probably need to work with the original creditor here. They should be able to show the collection agency they sold the debt to that it's closed and paid in full. Be sure to get in writing from the original creditor that this will not appear on your credit report in any way at all now or in the future. Not as a paid account, not as an account in collection. Nowhere, it has to be a deletion. This must be in writing.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:14 AM

4,852 posts, read 8,323,197 times
Smile Collection

They have not reported the debt to her credit report yet.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:13 AM

6 posts, read 10,589 times
Thank you all for your advice. It's been a huge relief. Bank statements are ordered and I should receive them right before closing so I will be able to get this taken care of soon after closing day!

Old 08-14-2008, 06:57 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,425,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
They have not reported the debt to her credit report yet.
It's a preventive measure and if it's in writing something that would be really useful if it shows up later. These people already messed up the final payment, after all.

Working with collection agencies is incredibly dangerous. The alleged debtor's better interests aren't something they consider at all.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:30 AM

1,280 posts, read 3,849,145 times
I was just helping a family memeber with this .. WE are POA and family "borrowed" money against her estate - she let them ..oh she has Alzheimer's as well!

we had the sheriff knock on the door delivered the papers - this is when we started looking at the whole big picture and found even more - at 80 something I sure hope to never be in this sort of mess! EVERYONE SHOULD CHECK THERE CREDIT INFO!!

So what we did - they had a lawyer - yes they called him a lawyer handling her stuff ... I confirmed he was a lawyer before I did anything .. I GOOGLED info on him and the credit stuff - becoming over welmed on how to make a 80 something sr citizen cough up 10k was besides me! ........ I called our attorney in our town and talked to him ..

At any time was your loan put into collections? IF so you may have thought you paid this bill ........only for them to sell off the difference.
I had them agree to a lower amount the bill was from the early 90s and apparently someone had been paying on it for awhile .... so making it look as if she knew about the loan .. (credit cards) so any who .. I made an agreement with there attorney for a lower amount ... stopped all collections in my aunts name ... and had them put in writing this debt difference will not be sold to another collection agency ..what they get that day is what they get and nothing more .... the first letter came through and I said no way it wont work and it has too many escape points - I called my attorney and read it over the phone to him and he said STOP before I even got 4 sentences read to him ..he said tell them to do it right or you wont send the money. 2 letters later they got it right and instead of 10k we paid them 5k and had the letter signed by the attorney in charge of the collections. I also was told not to send them my personal check .."because they could just start taking money out of my acct" So I got a certified check from the bank.

Good Luck on this issue! I would find away to prove you paid it ..did you pay with a check - ask your bank to search it for you ..and don't destroy important stuff like that in the future!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or