Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2008, 12:29 AM

35 posts, read 152,854 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine who lives in Sacramento, CA is planning to buy a second home and foreclose his first home which is losing value right now. He also borrowed around 80k from the equity (Equity Line of Credit) of his first house 2 years ago. Now the home's value dropped and he owes more than the home is worth. He also has an Option ARM mortgage and he is expecting his mortgage payment to balloon drastically in 2 months time.

He plans to buy a 2nd home then immediately stop making payments on his first home and just abandon it. What will be the drawbacks of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 12:47 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,950,740 times
I think your friend is an idiot. Buy another house? yea right. Time to rent!

Old 01-27-2008, 04:42 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,113,982 times
When the bank is reviewing the account for foreclosure they will also review his credit report. Should they see that he has another property the mortgage holder of the Foreclosed property may decide to enforce the judgment of foreclosure and when the original property sells for less that is owed at the sheriff sale they may decide to put a lien on the new property for the balance owed.
Judgments can be renewed in certain states for 10+ year.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:56 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,896,556 times
In addition to what Karla is saying, his credit will be trashed and he's subject to taxes. He does not qualify for the forgiveness because he took equity out.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:51 PM

35 posts, read 152,854 times
Default More Information about his case

He purchased his first home without his wife's name being on it and purchased the second home under his wife's name and without his.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:42 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times
Smile Buying a 2nd home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by solanoMan View Post
He purchased his first home without his wife's name being on it and purchased the second home under his wife's name and without his.
First of all, I am a mortgage broker in Florida. I am an honest broker and have very good relationships with my lenders. I also have a credit background and feel there is a moral issue here. If people had not been so greedy and I told many clients I could not help them....our country would not be like this today! (real estate wise).

The lenders in this case did not use precaution as they should have.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:49 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,755,487 times
Shame on your friend for trying an end run like that. Geeze...like a previous poster said, it's time to rent.

Last edited by RoaminRed; 01-27-2008 at 07:58 PM..

Old 01-27-2008, 08:23 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times
Purchase a Second Home before Losing the First to Foreclosure - UnArchived Articles (broken link)

It is possible.

Is it wrong? Depends on your point of view. Is it wrong for Florida insurance agencies to stop insuring homes? Depends on your point of view. Is it wrong to charge fat people for 2 seats? Depends on your point of view. Is it wrong to give up a pet who is eating you out of house and home? Depends on your point of view. Is it wrong to eat whale meat? What if it was all you had to eat was whale meat?

I could do this all day.

Since we are not debating morals and are answering a query..the answers are pretty well laid out in the article above. Also, bad debts are sold - much like loans - to debt recovery agencies...and they will review that person's credit history at least yearly, and if they see a recoverable debt...they can disturb your friend's life for many years.

Good luck to your friend...It won't be easy - whatever choice they make

Old 01-27-2008, 09:57 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Something tells me it won't be long before "your friend" has his 2nd house foreclosed.

"past behavior is a good judge of future behavior"--------(especially the recent past)

Old 01-28-2008, 10:12 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,021,288 times
This is pathetic. It doesn't sound like your friend is a very honest and moral person. Your friend sounds like someone who does not take responsibility seriously and doesn't hold himself accountable for his actions based on this. i would also think he will have an extremely hard time getting any kind of credit in his name after he forecloses on his first house. If I was his wife I would be furious at him and NOT do this and would be extremely worried if he were to ever leave especially with the house in just her name.

On a separate note why do i have this strange feeling more and more people are going to do this. Taking no responsibility for there own actions and instead just dumping their homes so someone else can pick up the pieces for them. This should somehow be illegal and those who are caught should pay BIG PENALTIES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages