U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2008, 10:26 PM

69 posts, read 119,820 times

Advertisements

I know that banks sell mortgages often. My question is can they change the terms of the loan. Specifically, can they change the minimum amount of insurances you must have?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 11:04 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,594,674 times
no, nothing changes. all that changes is who you mail your check to. the terms and documents you sign are your contract. your insurance covers cost replacement, which the lender requires you to have. there is not minimum amount, its specific type(s). were you rezoned onto a flood zone or something? why do you ask?

Old 08-22-2008, 09:53 AM

69 posts, read 119,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
no, nothing changes. all that changes is who you mail your check to. the terms and documents you sign are your contract. your insurance covers cost replacement, which the lender requires you to have. there is not minimum amount, its specific type(s). were you rezoned onto a flood zone or something? why do you ask?

I had my mortage with Bank A. They require, why is another whole story since I am in the NE but NOT on the ocean, flood insurance. Since the beginning, I carried enough flood insurance to cover my mortgage, reducing it every year. Bank A sold to Bank B, who sold to Bank C...and so on. I continued to reduce it every year. Now my bank is with Bank X and they are telling me that it is a Fannie Mae mortgage now and I have to go by their minimum, which increased my premium 2-3 times. I tried to call Fannie Mae, they will not give me any information and told me to call the bank. The bank is telling me to call Fannie Mae. My insurance broker and several attorneys are telling me this is wrong, but no attorney will take on the fight since it is not big bucks to them.

Sorry for the vague details, but I do not want to violate any laws my naming the exact bank.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:10 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,627,489 times
They can't change any terms of your principle, interest or amoritzation... however, if rules have changed for insurance or taxes you may be obligated.

They can't just "change" a loan to Fannie Mae and require it from my experience. But if new flood insurance changes have occurred in your area they can require you to keep up with the times. Just as if taxes were to go up or a new city tax added... the first you hear of it might be when the loan is sold (because the new bank looks it up) but it would have changed regardless.

I would look into it though, either someone is explaining it wrong or their may be an issue there.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 4,506 times
we have recieved a loan modification from our mortgage company.We currently have an adjustable rate of about 11 percent they are going to change us to a fixed rate of 6.95 which will drop our payments alot.It looks as though they are going to keep the terms of the orginal note maturity date etc.,however it does state that on maturity a balloon payment will be due.Can you explain that to me how would anything be due if all payments are on time?

Old 12-17-2008, 12:01 PM

3,031 posts, read 7,863,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carol1969 View Post
Can you explain that to me how would anything be due if all payments are on time?
They want the money you agreed to pay them.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:52 PM

5,615 posts, read 12,421,015 times
Balloon payments are like this - for example on a 30 year mortgage with a balloon at 15 years you would pay as you would normally on a 30 year amortization scale. At the beginning of year 15 though, the remaining principal would be due (usually with no obligation for the lending institution to renew the mortgage). A new loan may be written with whatever terms both parties agree to (basically, anything is negotiable since it is a new note), or it may not if the lender is unable to qualify for a new loan for some reason or if the loan value is so small that the bank would rather not deal with it. In short, at the time the balloon is due the original loan expires and the balance must be paid or a new loan written.

Personally, I have only seen 15 year balloon payments and only on smaller (10% of sale price) sized mortgages.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-17-2008, 09:20 PM

7,598 posts, read 17,618,792 times
Back to the OP, contact your insurance agent and ask him/her for help. They will certainly be aware of the exact situation and be able to explain what is happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages