U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2008, 09:13 PM

28 posts, read 82,426 times

Advertisements

I believe that no seller wants to accept my offers is because of these statements:

Buyer Seller shall pay 1% discount points

Seller to CR 4% for Buyers VA Non-Allowable (Lndr, Escrow/Closing Fees) with remaining balance to Buyers Re-occurring & Non Re-occurring CLS/Settlement Cost

Is there any way I can make my purchase bids more acceptable? I still want to use my VA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 05:28 PM

1,676 posts, read 6,334,056 times
Basically you are asking for a seller concession of 5%. There are 2 approaches that referral partners of mine(realtors) use to get the concession.
1. You can negotiate the price. So lets say you agree on a $200,000 purchase price, then instruct the agent to write the sales contract for $210,000 with the seller donating $10,000 back to cover costs and discount points. This creates no negative tax implications for seller as they are walking away with the $200,000 you agreed to buy the home for. This way you are only negotiating price and not confusing anyone with the concession.
2. When you put your offer in, put it in for $210,000 and request a 5% seller concession. I would suggest that instead of saying 1 discount and 4% non allowables, just use 5% concession. I am a fan of the KISS program. Keep It Super Simple. the way you describe above is confusing.

You should be working with a realtor that should handle this for you. Most of my referral partners use the first method.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:16 PM

110 posts, read 459,700 times
Can one get more than 4% in consessions from a VA loan?

Old 09-03-2008, 05:18 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,627,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangelo View Post

Up to 6% of the sales price from any "interested parties". These include the seller, builder, Realtor or broker. That is what the guidelines allow.... getting the parties to agree to it is part of the negotiation.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:00 PM

5,137 posts, read 15,095,994 times
it's not just because of that.

most sellers dont want to deal with the hassle of a VA loan.

not only does the borrower need to qualify, but the property guidelines are set to the toughest appraisal guidelines in the history.

Newer homes are subject to VA guidelines, but you'll never know until the appraisal is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool123 View Post
I believe that no seller wants to accept my offers is because of these statements:

Buyer Seller shall pay 1% discount points
Seller to CR 4% for Buyers VA Non-Allowable (Lndr, Escrow/Closing Fees) with remaining balance to Buyers Re-occurring & Non Re-occurring CLS/Settlement Cost

Is there any way I can make my purchase bids more acceptable? I still want to use my VA

Old 09-03-2008, 08:01 PM

5,137 posts, read 15,095,994 times
yes but VA is very strict on the different types of fees. They don't allow all the types, and it can be a hiccup at closing if not looked at beforehand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangelo View Post

Old 09-03-2008, 11:46 PM

28 posts, read 82,426 times
I already have a pre approved VA Loan. So the qualification is no problem. I just don't understand why a bank would sell for alot less than what I offered due to a VA Loan?

Old 09-04-2008, 09:27 AM

4,542 posts, read 11,547,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tool123 View Post
I already have a pre approved VA Loan. So the qualification is no problem. I just don't understand why a bank would sell for alot less than what I offered due to a VA Loan?
If the property is bank owned, and in any kind of disrepair the appraisal will reject the property.

If you want to use a VA loan you may not be able to buy an "as is" property.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:04 PM

110 posts, read 459,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
it's not just because of that.

most sellers dont want to deal with the hassle of a VA loan.

not only does the borrower need to qualify, but the property guidelines are set to the toughest appraisal guidelines in the history.

Newer homes are subject to VA guidelines, but you'll never know until the appraisal is done.
Can sellers afford to be choosy these days?

Im with you. Here in MD people were in bidding wars for contracts not too long ago. VA was like "MUD".

Around here any contract is like gold.. just check the "Real Estate" forum.. same stuff in my area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages