Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 01:02 AM

3,373 posts, read 9,159,969 times

Advertisements

So, I just put an offer in on a home. The home is a short sale.

I can't help but feel I am the one (as the buyer) that is getting shorted.

Can't ask the lender to pay closing or even ask them to pay for a home warranty.

I really do like the home and the location is great and the price is right.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 03:51 AM

23,155 posts, read 26,062,972 times
Great house,location and price but you're getting shafted?
Are you the type that would yell about paying taxes on lottery winnings?
Cheer up
After several months of waiting it may not go through and then you can look for another place where you can haggle terms with the owner

Old 08-11-2008, 06:47 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,326,439 times
It's the way short sales are done. If you scared, walk away.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:51 AM

5,224 posts, read 4,988,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post

Can't ask the lender to pay closing or even ask them to pay for a home warranty.

Any thoughts?
As some one who is short selling their house let me give you some perspective..

You are far from "shafted". Why? most likely the house you are buying is priced where it should be.. as opposed to those that are priced too high? Why.. because the person selling it doesn't get a dime from the sale.. and wants to sell before foreclosure..

My house is priced just right.. as is evident by the four showings I had yesterday, the 2 the day before.. etc.

You are buying a house at a fabulous price..guaranteed.. while the person selling is loosing their home, any money they put in our down (I put $80 - 100K in my home total with renovations, down payment.. not to mention paying down principle for 3 years!) and I'm walking away with nothing.. less than nothing!

My husband constantly says he WISHES he could buy our house today at the price we're asking..

and know this.. the bank will not take an offer, nor allow theh ouse to sell for more than the house appraised for. What I mean is, is that the bank already knows what the appraised value is from their appraiser they sent out. If you put in an offer that is HIGHER than the appraised value they won't takeit.. because you're bank will most likelly come up with the same appraisal number.. so know that you are buying a house at the right market value.. NOT inflated market value.

You are getting the benefits of someone else's misfortune (but the homeowner , atleast me, owuld rather see someone be happy in theirh ome than have the bank foreclose)

Old 08-11-2008, 11:34 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,960,552 times
Just repeating some of the prior comments here... but I just think it shows how crazy things have gotten. You say the price is right and you like the home and location.

But how can those sellers not pay for the BUYERS closing costs? I know everyone has gotten spoiled and wants the seller to pay the buyer's costs (most of my clients do and of course I am all for it if they can) but its still a little silly. Plenty of other threads also upset about seller-funded DPA going away so now, how horrible, a buyer had to pay their own down payment now. (Technicaly, is it even "down payment" if the seller is paying it?)

Again... I like these programs and it helps many people into homes, so I am all for them when used cautiously. But what comes next, the seller should pay your property taxes for the first 5 years? How about that pesky interest you need to pay on the mortgage?

Short sales can be a pain with the amount of time and negotiation they can take. The benefit as you said is you can get a nice price on them. If you want your closing costs and a home warranty paid for you, you can always look at other homes... but you may not get the location and price you want. Its about tradeoffs, we can rarely get all we want.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:16 PM

5,340 posts, read 14,081,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post

Any thoughts?
Ya, do you want some cheese with that whine?

Old 08-11-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Ya, do you want some cheese with that whine?

LOL, nice.

Anyways, its my first house. I am over analyzing everything.

Thanks for the information!

And yeah. I guess I do sound like a sob. We meet the lady that is losing her home. She was really really nice and has taken such great care of the home. She gave us so much information about the home we could have never learned. Every single short sale or foreclosure I have looked at up to this point the scorched earth policy was in effect.

It was sad to actually meet the one losing the home.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:09 AM

23,155 posts, read 26,062,972 times
It's also nice to be reminded that everybody doesn't destroy the house they're losing.
There are still responsible people around.
We'll be closing on one today that didn't deliberately do damage.
Good luck on it and you'll enjoy it more now than if you thought you got a raw deal

Old 08-12-2008, 09:10 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,759,727 times
If you dont have the downpayment AND closing costs ; you shouldnt be buying the home.

Thank your lucky stars that you are getting a good price.

d

Old 08-12-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
If you dont have the downpayment AND closing costs ; you shouldnt be buying the home.

Thank your lucky stars that you are getting a good price.

d
Yeah, I have that all lined up. My closing costs are going to be very low. So, with rates creeping up. It would have been nice to have other funds to buy the rate down a little bit.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages