Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 07:29 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times

Advertisements

I am glad it all worked out for you in the end.
However as someone who is self employed, you can get a fixed rate mortgage ; I always go for that one.

Learn lessons from this ; pay your taxes, dont get in over your heads and things will be fine.

d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 08:10 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
YOU don't get it with credit cards.

I had a gas card of 100 limit, and used it up all the time
Paid it off every month.
Because the credit card reports on a different date...my credit report was showing that it was maxed out all the time.

My credit score dropped....and almost all of my credit card rates went through the roof due to the Universal Default.
Because of a $100 card? I find that a little hard to swallow.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:15 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,583,894 times
No.

It's because a card with a 10 dollar limit...with a 10 dollar balance is considered a MAXED OUT card.
Whether it's a 1million dollar credit line or 100 dollar credit line....if you're at the same balance it's considered a max out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Because of a $100 card? I find that a little hard to swallow.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:23 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,009,390 times
Quote:
tristans - i think they were ragging you in the political forum. j/k

Anyway, congratulations on your shortsale.

My advice is to NOT put a LARGER down payment next time.
What if the market drops again then you just lost all of it ?

Also, having cash in the bank is HAVING CASH IN THE BANK.
Most borrowers put 20% down then get a home equity line of credit.
The problem with that is that the banks are now shutting down those HELOCs, and the borrowers have no access to cash.
The reason? The banks feel that there's no equity in the home so they cap the line or just freeze the whole thing.

never put all your eggs in 1 basket!
Yeah.. I will have to consider that..

What I am really hoping for is that if we really like this house, and the family that has it wants to sell, they'll consider financing.. which could be a possibility.. but we'll see.. I will seek possible owner financing . Just don't want to dealwith banks, fees and all that nonsense anymore..

I have a bad taste in my mouth..

Really.. they could have just let me stay in my home at the 6.95% interest rate.. although in the end they my have done ME a favor because I would't be in a house that is upside down...

We'll see. ..and thanks... and yes.. political discussions can always get heated!!

Old 09-04-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I am glad it all worked out for you in the end.
However as someone who is self employed, you can get a fixed rate mortgage ; I always go for that one.

Learn lessons from this ; pay your taxes, dont get in over your heads and things will be fine.

d
OH yeah.. lesson learned.

If you want to know the truth.. my hubby.. bless his soul.. always sets the bar so high and then makes himself nuts trying to reach for it. I never would have thought of buying a house.. all his idea and he said "we can do it adn we can handle it"..

It was over our heads even at the initial fixed rate.. we would have been able to pull through and eventually level off if we were allowed to stay.. but I'm kind of relieved not having that heavy burden.

I'm not moving into a bigger house on bigger property (although the house is an OLD farmhouse) for $800/month!! Definately ALOT easier than $3300/month we were paying here in NY on our mortgage for 2 1/2 years!!! and my other expenses will be cut too!

Old 09-04-2008, 08:34 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
I'm biting my tongue, but seriously, good luck and glad you will be sleeping better now. Remember to "save, save, and save some more."

Old 09-04-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I'm biting my tongue, but seriously, good luck and glad you will be sleeping better now. Remember to "save, save, and save some more."

Knowing you from your posts..I appreciate the restraint.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:31 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,164,677 times
Tristan, hopefully you will not be responsible for any deficiency and that there was wording in the contract to that effect.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:45 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
YOU don't get it with credit cards.

I had a gas card of 100 limit, and used it up all the time
Paid it off every month.
Because the credit card reports on a different date...my credit report was showing that it was maxed out all the time.

My credit score dropped....and almost all of my credit card rates went through the roof due to the Universal Default.
Why does it matter if the rates went through the roof, if you pay them off every month?

I never look at my rates since I pay it off and I never have to pay interest on them, so why should I care....only if I would stop paying them...than it can be important.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:45 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Knowing you from your posts..I appreciate the restraint.
You are most welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages