U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
Old 09-08-2008, 03:35 PM
878 posts, read 1,847,431 times
Reputation: 460


Not only is this a real estate issue, it's an "Elder Law" issue as well. Sarah was acting as a conservator, and breached her duty to George to take care of his finances. Look for an attorney, many are willing to give you an hour or so to discuss the issue you are facing. Some may even do pro-bono work, or work on contingency. From what I see, there are two things you want to accomplish:

1) Get George off of the mortgage. He was induced to sign by a trusted person (Sarah), but was not in a condition to know the details of the mortgage.

2) Recover some of George's assets. His conservator, Sarah, used her POA position to get a deed in his name, then transferred his ownership in his property to herself. This is a serious breach of a conservator's duty.

(Although she might be acting as a guardian rather than conservator...I can never remember which is which, but my state says they mean the same)

Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 03:49 AM
1 posts, read 1,138 times
Reputation: 10
This was "exploitation" of a disabled senior. Laws protect those who are victimized by the exploiter, usually a relative who is trying to gain something. Find an "Elder" attorney firm that specializes in elder affairs and elder law. And ask in court, the attorney fees be paid by the "exploiter."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2008, 07:13 AM
Location: South Dakota
733 posts, read 4,084,418 times
Reputation: 710
The local office of your state's department of social services [or its equivalent] and its office for adult services and the aged [or its equivalent] is the place to go to begin an investigation of financial explitation of an elderly person. Don't delay. Contact them now. There are resources available through social service agencies to refer matters for prosecution and to provide independent legal counsel for exploited seniors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top