U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 08:21 PM

1,676 posts, read 6,334,056 times

Advertisements

Since we are talking rates, in my opinion rates will get lower. If you are close to closing, like with in a week, maybe you should lock, take your gains and run. If you have several weeks to months, i think rates could get lower. First of all, the biggest enemy to rates is investor lack of confidence in buying Mortgage Backed Secuities. As investors buy MBS, the price goes up causing the yield(interest rates) to drop. With the government basically taking over Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the government has basically turned MBS's into US Treasury notes which are guaranteed by the full faith of the USA. This means they cant lose any money so investors who buy fixed income investments like bonds are flocking to MBS as they are paying almost 6% and treasuries paying under 4%. With the spread being so wide, investors will likely keep buying MBS. Next, inflation is coming down. One of the biggest enemies to mortgage rates is inflation, if inflation is on the rise, rates follow and when inflation subside, rates fall. Oil prices are dropping, commodity prices such as wheat, corn, sugar are falling(i actually paid 2.48 for a gallon of milk this weekend at a walmart in Plano texas) with much of this being pushed by a strengthening US dollar. Next would be our economy, it is not booming and generally speaking bad news on the economy equates to lower rates. Lastly would be jobs. Unemployment is rising which is helping to keep labor costs low. Like i said earlier, one of the biggest enemies to rates is inflation, well there is something called wage based inflation. When a lot of people are out of work, companies do not have to raise salaries to attract workers, vs if unemployment is ver low, employers have to entice workers by paying more money. Since our ecomony has lost about 600,000 jobs so far this year, that is keeping companies labor expenses low keeping prices low. This is just my opinion and i could be wrong. I spend a lot of timing research this subject but something could happen tomorrow that could change everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 09:56 PM
odu

40 posts, read 103,551 times
Default closing tomorrow

I'm closing tomorrow afternoon. I've locked in at 6.375. Is it too late to get a lower rate? I believe I can do a floatdown

Old 09-09-2008, 09:59 PM

5,137 posts, read 15,095,994 times
you should be able to...but it will need to go back to the underwriter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odu View Post
I'm closing tomorrow afternoon. I've locked in at 6.375. Is it too late to get a lower rate? I believe I can do a floatdown

Old 09-09-2008, 10:09 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,627,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odu View Post

You might be able to, but it also might delay closing. I have tried to renegotiate rates 24-48 hours before closing and they always warn me it will delay the closing.

Typically the "pricing desk or department" needs to go over it an approve/deny the request. Sometimes the underwriter needs to make a few changes. Then the closing department needs to change the loan package and send a new one to the attorney to reflect the new rate, payment, TIL and other items affected by the change.

At some lenders all this can be done in a few hours, at others it can take a few days. Call the lender in the morning, it never hurts to ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or