U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2008, 01:01 AM

28,006 posts, read 46,456,790 times

Advertisements

"You always look at people on the street and think 'I'd never be there.'"

Breitbart.tv Home Sweet Honda: Foreclosures Force More Americans to Live in Vehicles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 08:01 AM

28,906 posts, read 45,326,323 times
Okay. Hold the phone on the kneejerk sympathy here.

Let's see. She's a teacher. He's a LIFE COACH (The irony of it is pretty amazing, isn't it?). They had a four-bedroom home with a pool, something that almost certainly was beyond their means even when things were going well.

Now that they've lost their home, they can't scrape together enough money to rent an apartment? Are you kidding me?

You know, I work with homeless families who have lost their homes for good reasons: Loss of income, disability, and the whatnot. But couples like this who both have their faculties, both have income, and just lost their home because they were imprudent in their financial lives annoy the crap out of me.

When we bought our house, we qualified for a house with a selling price twice what we were buying. But we looked at our monthly budget and said, "Absolutely not." Why didn't this couple, a "life coach" no less, have enough common sense to do the same?

Old 09-14-2008, 06:58 PM

947 posts, read 2,787,058 times
hmm..

If common sense were so common everyone would have it. And life coach, a lot of those are overrated. Those who can do - those who can't teach.

It's kind of like the friend who is always trying to give advice on your life or finances meanwhile there relationships are a mess and their finances are in the toilet.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:37 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,633,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Red View Post
hmm..

If common sense were so common everyone would have it. And life coach, a lot of those are overrated. Those who can do - those who can't teach.

It's kind of like the friend who is always trying to give advice on your life or finances meanwhile there relationships are a mess and their finances are in the toilet.

I just have to make an exception to "Those who can do - those who can't teach". I know its a saying and it could be considered funny in some circles, but having both my parents as teachers and lots of friends that are they deserve some respect.

I was in academia as well and I know a lot of people that could go into business (including real estate) and make far more money, but they teach because they want to give something back to the community. A lot of teachers struggle, especially the first few years and they do not do it because the have no other options but because they are motivated to do so.

That said... too many people jumped in over their heads. I also see many clients that listen to their friends instead of their CPA and myself when they go to buy a home. Of course their friend has a bankruptcy, car repossesed and $5 in their checking account but they claim to be an "expert". Not much use paying a CPA or a mortgage advisor if they aren't going to listen to the advice we give them.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:52 PM

947 posts, read 2,787,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarrillo View Post
I just have to make an exception to "Those who can do - those who can't teach". I know its a saying and it could be considered funny in some circles, but having both my parents as teachers and lots of friends that are they deserve some respect.

I was in academia as well and I know a lot of people that could go into business (including real estate) and make far more money, but they teach because they want to give something back to the community. A lot of teachers struggle, especially the first few years and they do not do it because the have no other options but because they are motivated to do so.

That said... too many people jumped in over their heads. I also see many clients that listen to their friends instead of their CPA and myself when they go to buy a home. Of course their friend has a bankruptcy, car repossesed and $5 in their checking account but they claim to be an "expert". Not much use paying a CPA or a mortgage advisor if they aren't going to listen to the advice we give them.

I wasn't talking about the teacher I was talking about the life coach, apparently that didn't come out right.

I also have friends as teachers who really like what they do. I've also had some really good teachers in my life and some not so good ones but that's neither here nor there.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:55 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,633,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Red View Post
I wasn't talking about the teacher I was talking about the life coach, apparently that didn't come out right.

I also have friends as teachers who really like what they do. I've also had some really good teachers in my life and some not so good ones but that's neither here nor there.

Not going to comment on life coachs

I am sure there are some great ones and it serves a use... but just seems like a funny concept. Then again there are self-help books, motivational gurus and talk shows like Dr. Phil, so what do I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or