U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2008, 07:25 PM

1,462 posts, read 4,017,061 times

Advertisements

OK, let me preface this:

I have a VISA debit card that I get rewards points for. However, I have to use it as a credit card, not a debit card. So the money comes out the same way, just if I process it as a credit card, the credit fees come out of the vendor's pocket.

Now... I want to see if there's a way I can use my "credit" card to pay my mortgage. I know the bank wouldn't accept it that way, but is there I way I can use Paypal or some other service to pay my bills, funding it with my credit card and paying out that way?

With the amount of points I can generate, I'm looking at a free flight a year.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 04:49 AM

3,306 posts, read 3,323,365 times
Quote:
but is there I way I can use Paypal or some other service to pay my bills, funding it with my credit card and paying out that way?
There is a way, but its explicitly forbidden by Paypal. You may get away with it for a bit, but they are likely to catch on.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:48 AM

1,286 posts, read 2,594,435 times
have you called the 800 number? try that to pay that way, my cousin charges his mortgage still and transfers balances and has never had a late payment, meanwhile gets all the miles.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:02 PM

1 posts, read 19,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
have you called the 800 number? try that to pay that way, my cousin charges his mortgage still and transfers balances and has never had a late payment, meanwhile gets all the miles.
The 800 number on the back of the credit card? Or the bank's 800 number? Can you elaborate?

Old 01-02-2009, 08:41 PM

55 posts, read 243,247 times
He means call up the 800 number for your mortgage servicer and ask them if you can pay by MC/VISA debit card. They might possibly just say yes.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:35 AM

8,309 posts, read 33,322,966 times
You may want to carefully read your mortgage before you do anything like that. Some mortgage companies explicitly forbid "borrowed payments"

Old 01-05-2009, 09:00 AM

22,770 posts, read 25,182,020 times
I don't know why you'd want to do this.. or if it work work within the terms of your specific contract.. but it seems to me that you could get your mortgage payment from your credit card, pool it with your existing funds, and then pay out of your existing funds. Therefore you are not "Paying your mortgage with borrowed money."

This is how banks get around these sorts of "problems," right?

Old 01-05-2009, 09:50 AM
SXN

350 posts, read 1,084,206 times
I remember looking into this for the sames reasons as you, it would be a great way to rack up mileage or rewards points. I came across a few 3rd party companies out there that will process credit card payments and pay your bank for you. But the amount these companies charge in transaction fees makes any type of benefit you might get from the points a wash. It would be cheaper just to buy mileage or points outright. Hopefully, banks change their policies about accepting credit cards at some point down the line, but in this economy I'm not sure it is going to happen soon.

The closest thing I have seen to getting reward points for your mortgage is something like Chase Bank and the Hilton Honors program. If you obtain a mortgage from Chase, you get something like like 100,000 Hilton Honors points or something like that.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:24 PM

11,352 posts, read 11,083,410 times
I guess I just don't understand the point of all this. No one is giving anything for "free" and why jump through those hoops for one free flight a year????

Old 01-05-2009, 04:31 PM

10,116 posts, read 16,713,055 times
[quote=SXN;6846773]Hopefully, banks change their policies about accepting credit cards at some point down the line, but in this economy I'm not sure it is going to happen soon.

QUOTE]

I understand that you and the OP are talking about paying off your credit card each month, I do the same and get amazon.com points. However, if banks allowed people to pay their mortgages with credit cards, can you even IMAGINE the fall-out to our economy that would be caused by irresponsible credit users? They could run up tremendous credit card debt, never actually make a mortgage payment, then file bankruptcy, keep the house, and screw the credit card company (which screws all of us in the end).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or