Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2008, 11:10 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,521,328 times

Advertisements

Should the mortgage interest tax deduction be repealed? Some economists argue that the deduction is nothing more than a subsidy to homeowners at the expense of renters. Renters who can't claim the deduction will end up paying higher income taxes since the government will have to offset the loss of the subsidy by raising taxes elsewhere.

RealClearMarkets - Articles - Repeal Housing's Mortgage-Interest Deduction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 11:31 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,265,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Should the mortgage interest tax deduction be repealed? Some economists argue that the deduction is nothing more than a subsidy to homeowners at the expense of renters. Renters who can't claim the deduction will end up paying higher income taxes since the government will have to offset the loss of the subsidy by raising taxes elsewhere.

RealClearMarkets - Articles - Repeal Housing's Mortgage-Interest Deduction
Of course it should be repealed. The business of government, especially the tax authority, is not encouraging or discouraging one lifestyle choice over another (owning versus renting in this case).

Old 09-14-2008, 12:05 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,872,482 times
Sounds like a good reason for renters to become homeowners. Everyone can buy a home if they want one. they might have to learn to live within a budget, or make some other sacrifices.
Some chose not to do so, let em weep

Old 09-14-2008, 12:16 PM

There are reasons for renters to be renters, but they shouldn't have to subsidize homeowners. The government shouldn't favor one group over another using tax policy.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
There are reasons for renters to be renters, but they shouldn't have to subsidize homeowners. The government shouldn't favor one group over another using tax policy.
Thank you!

Old 09-14-2008, 12:23 PM

Or, renters should also be given a tax deduction for renting. After all, mortgage interest and rent are functionally the same. Getting a mortgage is simply renting money from a bank to live in a house.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:35 PM

516 posts, read 1,887,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Everyone can buy a home if they want one.
Not true. There are plenty of people who can't buy a home even if they want to, for various reasons.

As to repealing the deduction - shall we speculate as to the impact this might have on the housing market?

Old 09-14-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony23 View Post

As to repealing the deduction - shall we speculate as to the impact this might have on the housing market?
I, for one, couldn't care less about what would happen to the housing market. The government's role is not to artificially impact the market for anything.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
The deduction is a subsidy from the government given to homeowners. It is a form of government intervention into the real estate market. As such, it distorts the market by inflating the value of homes. The subsidy incentivizes people to buy homes, hence the demand for homes will increase, hence the price of homes will increase. Remove the subsidy, and the incentive to buy homes based on the subsidy disappears, and prices will go down. People will still be buying homes, but their decision will not be influenced by the fact that they will get a government subsidy. Their decision will be based on their actual need for the home and whether they have the income to afford it. In other words, it will make the real estate market and housing prices rational again.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:51 PM

5,863 posts, read 11,914,754 times
Honestly, when I saw this I said "No way!". Then I read the arguments and I somewhat agree that homeowners get a break that renters don't. On the other hand, if I didn't get the taxes and interest deduction on my house, there would not be much incentive for me to own it. I'd just as soon rent and let someone else take care of all the maintenance headaches. It would have a huge impact on the housing market. And I do care about it because it affects my options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages