Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Mortgages: real estate, market, affordable, financial advisers, foreclosure.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 11:42 AM

55 posts, read 121,054 times

Advertisements

My story is NOT that of the commonly believed scenario of a greedy homeowner who, through creative financing, purchased much more house than could be afforded. On the contrary.

During the real estate hot market frenzy, I bought a house to relocate from one area of Florida to another. I listened to the advice of the builder, "when the drywall goes on in the new house, put your current house on the market." There was no reason to think I'd have any trouble selling my house as it is beautiful, and resales at the time were flying off the market within days of being listed. But (I'm sure you've guessed it) I missed the market, began "chasing" it, and my house never sold.

I've beat myself up for not selling sooner, or for not dropping the price quickly enough. But I had no way of knowing what was going on with the mortgage companies and the banks. I have been through normal ups and downs of the real estate market in my life, but never, ever have I seen nor could have imagined anything like this current market. Never.

For over 2 years, I took a very proactive role in trying to sell my house. I listed both houses out of desperation. I spent countless hours researching, listing, calling, and seeking adviced of attorneys, real estate professionals, financial advisers, auction companies, and anyone else I could find including the "buy your home for cash" companies. Yes, I dropped the price to rock bottom. I eventually considered renting but by then it was too little, too late.

My credit is excellent and has been so all of my life. I am a very responsible person who always tries to do the right thing. Now, after over two years of owning two homes, paying two mortgages, (NOTE: each of these mortgages has a great rate, and both are 30 year FIXED. Each mortgage alone is very affordable to me.) and paying two sets of expenses, including taxes, insurance, utilities, maintenance, and HOA's, I have had it. I have depleted my savings and am living month to month just barely making it. The stress has been enormous. My bank has refused to talk to me about this because my payments are all current.

So, I am about to sell short, or if that fails, to walk away. Yes I will be destroying my own credit, but I have no choice anymore. To continue this way will be an even worse financial disaster.

So you see, not all of us are irresponsible, greedy consumers. I was just minding my own business trying to buy and sell, when the playing field was suddenly changed and all of the customers were driven away. Now, the same banks who made a ton of money during the hot market are dumping their bank-owned properties for sale in my neighborhood at unbelievably low prices. I just can't compete with that, and I am not wealthy enough to ride it out as the cost of living continues to rise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 12:04 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,916,707 times
sorry to hear. i would suggest deed in lieu on the home you don't want to live in and take your chances.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:11 PM

Thanks, Dave. I am absolutely considering deed in lieu of, but I hear that there is also a hassle getting a bank to accept this. If the short sale doesn't happen within a month or so, I think that will be the next approach. After that, I guess the only thing left is foreclosure. Unbelievable, but I don't see any other way out.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:54 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,916,707 times
most banks are taking them at this point. but be forewarned, i am not an attorney, but even with deed in lieu, the bank has every right to come after you for the difference in money's from the sale of that home, most likely they would attach a judgment to the title of your current home.

but after a couple of years the market may be back and you could get a wash on it.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:02 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,051,442 times
don't stress it. I think I spoke to you before. With the way thing are, you will be living payment free in your home for at least a YEAR before you are evicted. Save up for the rental market...try to get a deed in lieu of foreclosure if you can.....rent for a couple of years, your credit will go up and you will be fine. Life goes on ! It's happening to millions of people and will keep happening. Keep your head up and move forward and stop beating yourself up over it. YOU WILL BE OK..

Old 09-15-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
most banks are taking them at this point. but be forewarned, i am not an attorney, but even with deed in lieu, the bank has every right to come after you for the difference in money's from the sale of that home, most likely they would attach a judgment to the title of your current home.

but after a couple of years the market may be back and you could get a wash on it.
Thanks again for that advice. I do have a company helping me, they are going to try to get the bank to accept the short sale with no judgment on me, and have it put in writing. I thought the deed in lieu was the same as a foreclosure with respect to the judgment, that it cannot be done any longer because the house is the collateral for the loan.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
don't stress it. I think I spoke to you before. With the way thing are, you will be living payment free in your home for at least a YEAR before you are evicted. Save up for the rental market...try to get a deed in lieu of foreclosure if you can.....rent for a couple of years, your credit will go up and you will be fine. Life goes on ! It's happening to millions of people and will keep happening. Keep your head up and move forward and stop beating yourself up over it. YOU WILL BE OK..
Thanks for the encouragement! I dont need the rent money, because remember I have the 2 homes, so at least I dont have that worry. I am just worried about the repercussions of the bad credit, just can't get used to the idea that my credit will be bad after all this time. It sort of makes you feel like a failure. But I appreciate your comments.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:16 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,051,442 times
I know...but YOU will bounce back. Everyone does

Old 09-16-2008, 02:22 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,691,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirlinFL View Post
Thanks for the encouragement! I dont need the rent money, because remember I have the 2 homes, so at least I dont have that worry. I am just worried about the repercussions of the bad credit, just can't get used to the idea that my credit will be bad after all this time. It sort of makes you feel like a failure. But I appreciate your comments.
One thing you'll need to watch out for is Universal Default on your credit cards. I would highly advise a balance transfer to get all your CC debt in one place so you can start paying it down in one payment.

As long as you have a house, and a car, and a job, and lines of credit open, you don't have much to fear by walking away.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:56 PM

6,820 posts, read 14,032,189 times
I hear stores like yours everyday and trust me when I say you are not along. You simply do what you have to do in times like this. You are simply one of thousands who just missed out on a great market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages