U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2008, 03:48 PM

2,518 posts, read 9,714,935 times

Advertisements

I know that every month lenders get more and more strict...but does todays news about Lehman going under bear any relevance on someone trying to get a mortgage say 4-5 months from now ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 04:08 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,345,397 times
Well, depends on how marginal you are.

Banks, after all, are in the business of lending money. They don't make money just sitting on a big pile of cash.

That being said, the days of rubber stamping any application that came through the underwriting department are over. Because I guarantee you that the Federal Research will insist on a lot more loan documentation, and probably hold banks responsible for bad paper that gets sold to investors.

So they'll scrutinize you more thoroughly, they'll go everything in your credit history with a fine-toothed comb, and they'll be a lot quicker to say no.

But right now, they're really gun shy and basically waiting for the new paradigm in the market to take effect. So for the next couple of months, I wouldn't count on it.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:33 PM

86,093 posts, read 70,127,848 times
The money is NOT going to flow fast and furious like it has in the past.
Be prepared for very tight lending rules.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:39 PM

2,518 posts, read 9,714,935 times
they are ALREADY TIGHT...read my original post. I know that...most people know that. Do you think LEHMAN going under is going to cause even more tightening ? And where do you think mortgage interest rates are headed ?

Old 09-15-2008, 05:07 PM

1,442 posts, read 3,578,587 times
I lending gets even tighter, look for real estate prices to fall even more...?

I'll be living this nightmare in the Spring when I put my place on the market after 11yrs.

I guess the good part of all this is that it will weed out most of the idiot 'house flippers' that played a big part in all driving all of this nonsense.

How are those 'red hot' Cali and Vegas markets doing these days, anyway??

Old 09-15-2008, 05:35 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,463,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
they are ALREADY TIGHT...read my original post. I know that...most people know that. Do you think LEHMAN going under is going to cause even more tightening ? And where do you think mortgage interest rates are headed ?
Lehman going under and everything else happening lately IS going to cause more tightening - how could it not?

Interest rates are headed up - can't help it. Bad news for any type of borrowing - good news "maybe" for cash/savings.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:32 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,634,256 times
Actually, I dont think the Lehman failure will affect guidelines much. It won't help them, but it likely won't hurt them any.

What is going on with Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac and potentially WAMU will affect mortgage lending... but the products and loan types that Lehman (through Aurora and other divisions) offered have been gone for a while. Its all really prime or government now and while Lehman will cause some fear it is unlikely to cause much change.

Rates have actually come down a bit on conforming rates as investors view them as "safer" now that the government is backing them. How long that will last is another question. One view is that the government did make them "safer", another take though is that the government just became "riskier" by taking on a huge liability that is likely to experience serious losses.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:48 PM

3,306 posts, read 3,336,563 times
The collapse of the shadow banking system will effect fund availability which in turn should change lending standards due to a reduction in available funds.

Quote:
Its all really prime or government now and while Lehman will cause some fear it is unlikely to cause much change.
Yeah, not to much change just the collapse of the modern financial system.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:26 PM

472 posts, read 1,527,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarrillo View Post
...another take though is that the government just became "riskier" by taking on a huge liability that is likely to experience serious losses.
And what the heck are we to invest in if even T-bills and notes go junk?

Old 09-16-2008, 11:43 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,634,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scone View Post
And what the heck are we to invest in if even T-bills and notes go junk?

If T-bills go to junk you don't have to worry about investing. You will just have to worry about buying bread, water, gas. There won't be much use for dollar bills at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or