Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 05:26 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times

Advertisements

Why don't we help the victims from Hurricane Ike by letting them stay in houses where people don't pay their mortgage. Have them leave the house and replace them for people who did pay their mortgage and have no house anymore, until their homes are rebuild and they can move back.

Some one wrote that some lenders let home owners who stopped paying and have foreclosed stay in their home since it is better if some one lives there...they live for free while thousands are homeless and did pay mortgages and have no place to go!

IMO this would only be fair, and/or force the non paying mortgage home owners to share their houses to these people.....at least in that way the do something good to society other than using tax payers money to bail them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 06:03 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,984,353 times
OK, so Mr. A, victim of Ike, paid his mortgage....he gets to live in someone else's house and we kick them out because they didn't pay their mortgage, right? But Mr. B, Mr A's neighbor, also a victim of Ike, did not pay his mortgage, can be left to fend for himself in waist high water? Is that what you propose?

Where does the original person live? I know, we can put them in the waist high water with Mr. B. That would solve it all, right?

While I don't disagree that it would be great that Ike victims be given temporary housing, I don't agree with throwing someone out on the street to do it....whether they have paid their mortgage or not. You do know this is the United States, right?

Old 09-15-2008, 06:50 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,916,879 times
not a bad idea, perhaps some sort of FEMA supplement could work with it.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:25 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
not a bad idea..............
pretty bad.......

Old 09-16-2008, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
OK, so Mr. A, victim of Ike, paid his mortgage....he gets to live in someone else's house and we kick them out because they didn't pay their mortgage, right? But Mr. B, Mr A's neighbor, also a victim of Ike, did not pay his mortgage, can be left to fend for himself in waist high water? Is that what you propose?

Where does the original person live? I know, we can put them in the waist high water with Mr. B. That would solve it all, right?

While I don't disagree that it would be great that Ike victims be given temporary housing, I don't agree with throwing someone out on the street to do it....whether they have paid their mortgage or not. You do know this is the United States, right?
They can go and rent....like others have to do that stopped paying their mortgage long ago, some even over a year in my area, while all others are paying!

It sounds harsh, but we have to pay higher HOA, and other things, due to these people not paying property taxes, car loans (hiding their cars in the garage from repo), not paying HOA and getting free utilities!!! While working and having money...just living for free...I'm sick of it and we have so many over here....10% is property tax delinquent, 15% is in foreclosure and has paid HOA, and mortgages for months and doesn't even maintain their yards, while living for free (just my neighborhood)....so I'm all for it to help the people who did pay and didn't cause this mortgage failure at all....others should start to live like what they can afford....many claim to have $ 10.- an hour jobs so would never have been able to afford it any way, we also have some who went out of their way to get a scumbag appraiser who was giving them an appraissel that was just not true and they have mortgages of over $ 400 K on houses that were never worth more than $ 340.K and just spend the money on luxurious items......if you would see this on a daily base...you would get sick of it too and than watching these poor people in Texas.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:43 AM

By the way there also many houses empty for almost a year so they can be watched and lived in by Texas victims....so the banks would not have to be affraid of the houses being vandalized.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:47 AM

In a street of 12 we have 3 empty houses...and 2 are huge that we can help at least 5 families in these 3 houses or is 2 families to help out in a 3475 sqft...unreasonable?

These people need help for months....the house next to me, the owner gave the keys back in Nov. 2007 and the house was empty before and just foreclosed last months and not even listed as being for sale...so are the other 2. So this is a time the banks can do something back!

Old 09-16-2008, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
In a street of 12 we have 3 empty houses...and 2 are huge that we can help at least 5 families in these 3 houses or is 2 families to help out in a 3475 sqft...unreasonable?

These people need help for months....the house next to me, the owner gave the keys back in Nov. 2007 and the house was empty before and just foreclosed last months and not even listed as being for sale...so are the other 2. So this is a time the banks can do something back!
But your idea of displacing someone is just plain cruel. It is not up to you to decide who gets kicked out and who doesn't.

So you expect the Ike victims to pay in your HOA for the honor of living in a foreclosed house? To help you?

Honestly, if you are REALLY concerned about the people in Texas, why don't you offer your home to them? Be part of the solution, not finger pointing and creating more turmoil.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:47 AM

No they can live under the same conditions that the other folks have been living all this time...IMO the Texas victims have no money and need help and this way the others have used us already long enough, so now others can move in and live here without paying, just to help them out...at least we do something good and let the people who stopped paying while having an income, take care of them self!

I don't think anything is cruel about this, since we have no one living here who can't pay due to illness....just greed...not any one lost their job, only some realtors who tried to flip and can't afford it any more will have to move as well...but they all own more than 1 home...so why should i feel sorry...for their greed!

Old 09-16-2008, 07:55 AM

So you know every single person's situation, huh? Wow, it must be a full time job poking around into everyone's business. How do you manage to have a REAL job?

HOW will it be determined and WHO will determine who is foreclosing due to illness, loss of job, and just not paying anymore because they made a poor choice? Where is the line drawn?

I honestly cannot understand your kind of thinking, it has so many holes and fantasies and I am so glad you are not a person that has any power to try and pull off something as ludicrous as this. You sound like you would have been very good at ruling under Hitler. The fact that you think this is a good idea is totally scary and unnerving.

Again, you never answered...why not become part of the solution and offer up your home (or a room in your home) for an Ike victim????? Now THAT would be something to be proud of instead of spouting off nonsense about things you know nothing about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages