Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 12:14 PM

271 posts, read 1,057,695 times

Advertisements

My bf and i are due to close on our home next month. When we started this process 5mos ago we decided he was going to be on the loan by himself, and i would go on title the day after we close.

Ok, so now my bf tells me that he wants to get married before we move in the house. I know for a fact that if we get married before we close that the mortgage company will want all my information and debts and all that stuff.

So here's my question is it possible to get married before we close and just not report it to the mortgage company, if we don't say anything there really isnt a way for them to find out, right?

And by the way we're not trying to pull a fast one on anyone or anything like that, it just would be a real hassle.

thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 01:12 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,906,240 times
if you dont want to be part of the deal you dont have to be. just sign spousal docs. he will have to submit a new updated 1003(application) stating he is married though.

you can also be added to title without being involved with the mortgage. just needs to be on the 1003(application) where it asks who will be on title.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:17 PM

1,673 posts, read 6,999,435 times
brokerdave is absolutely right as long as you are not living in a community property state. In Texas, if you are using a FHA loan both husband and wife must be on loan so all debts of each person must be considered.

Please post back and let us know if you are doing a FHA loan. If you are using conventional financing,brokerdave is right, if you are doing an FHA loan you might have to be added to the loan but that will be determined by what state you live in.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:33 PM

82 posts, read 323,125 times
doesn't make a difference

Old 09-15-2008, 08:51 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,825,161 times
If I remember correctly from the OP's previous posts, it is an FHA loan and it is in CA, which is a community property state. That leaves 2 options. Wait until after closing to get married, or get married and fill out a new app, provide all necessary documentation on your end, and resubmit. Getting married prior to closing and not disclosing that fact could kill the deal at the very least and although highly unlikely could be construed as fraud. Better to CYA and do it the right way.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:04 PM

1,673 posts, read 6,999,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortgage king View Post
doesn't make a difference
What doesn't make a difference?

Old 09-15-2008, 11:05 PM

82 posts, read 323,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorBurek View Post
What doesn't make a difference?
after or before because she might close with a different lender.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:20 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,011,996 times
Wow...if you are in a community property state, I hope your boyfriend realizes what he is doing ! Man....I have so many divorced friends that would be wringing him by the neck right now. Not to say you will get divorced...I hope you guys live a beautiful life together. It's just that so many men if they only knew what they know now about gettig married in the past and buying a home after. Never mind...not going to get into this.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:37 AM

1,959 posts, read 4,640,750 times
I know what you're getting at. But it doesn't matter if you buy the property before or after they get married. In community property states, you're hosed either way. These states make a differentiation as to what is considered personal property and what is considered community. Cars bought before the marriage and in your ame only (if financing) are yours, for example. Things purchased after the marriage automatically become 50/50 regardless of who put the money. Hell even debt is considered 50/50. Which is to say, at a divorce hearing the judge can legally say that your crazy spouse and his/her credit card debt binges while married to you make you liable if he/she cannot meet them. Yes that made me livid too.

So in a non-community property state, he would be legally owner of the house (and sole owner of the debt obligation as well) if done without her as a co-signer and her not on the title obviously. But in a community property state my friends, in the case of a house (not necessarily all property types) it doesn't matter because hse automatically wins 50% of a house by marrying ya regardless of timing. Not an issue when one is expected to live happily ever after, but if not, yep sucks. Such is life.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:58 AM

271 posts, read 1,057,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
Wow...if you are in a community property state, I hope your boyfriend realizes what he is doing ! Man....I have so many divorced friends that would be wringing him by the neck right now. Not to say you will get divorced...I hope you guys live a beautiful life together. It's just that so many men if they only knew what they know now about gettig married in the past and buying a home after. Never mind...not going to get into this.

This is exactly what ticks me off about writing on this forum and asking for advice. Tell me something where in my post did you read that i wanted advice on why or why not to get married?..........Exactly, nowhere! my question was solely on what complications could come from getting married without disclosing the fact.

You sound like an extremely bitter person.......sorry if your life sucks.......but man think a little before you open your mouth, you don't know squat about me or my bf and you're throwing your very stupid 2cents in, come on dude.......give me a f******* break.

Not that it matters or this has anything to do with my original post but we are both in our 40's been together for 7yrs.........so i think i can say we both know exactly what we're doing.

I come on this forum to ask advice on things that i don't know and while i welcome everyone's advice and everyone has a right to their own opinion, it's ignorant comments like yours that make people not want to be part of this forum. Now, if you want to comment on my ORIGINAL QUESTION and actually know what you are talking about please do if not then SHUT THE F**** UP.

To everyone else who has actually given usefull advice, i thank you........and like i said in my original post we don't want to commit fraud or anything like that. Someone asked what kind of loan it was and yes it is an fha loan and it was first time home buyer, i originally did not go on the loan, due to the fact that i had just recently refinanced a home our mortgage lender told us this way would be best and that i should just go on title after we close, which is what we planned to do all along. We've been planning to get married all along but my bf just this weekend told me he wanted us to do it before we moved in the house, but in thinking about it i think not to have any problems or re-do the app it's just easier if we wait till after we close.

Thanx everyone and i apologize for going off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages