U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 09-20-2008, 05:20 AM
 
Location: North Raleigh
38 posts, read 70,909 times
Reputation: 18

Advertisements

What I need to do is a refi but I've been unemployed since April and couldn't get a loan if I had to (I have a great credit rating, too, but have only been able to find part-time supplemental work).

I'm afraid to look at my 401k - which would be my 2nd option for cash. I have an equity line, but no income to repay - especially when I'm barely covering the bills now.

I've owned the home since the early 80's and expect to be here, hopefully, another 30 years... Any thoughts from the lawyers, mortgage, banking folks out there?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-20-2008, 07:00 AM
 
Location: Southeast US
1,236 posts, read 3,320,989 times
Reputation: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by eFab View Post
What I need to do is a refi but I've been unemployed since April and couldn't get a loan if I had to (I have a great credit rating, too, but have only been able to find part-time supplemental work).

I'm afraid to look at my 401k - which would be my 2nd option for cash. I have an equity line, but no income to repay - especially when I'm barely covering the bills now.

I've owned the home since the early 80's and expect to be here, hopefully, another 30 years... Any thoughts from the lawyers, mortgage, banking folks out there?
Have you considered taking on a roommate? Or depending on the size of your house..roommates? Wouldn't that be a better alternative than selling a "share" of your house?

To my knowledge that wouldn't be possible, unless you declared your property an investment, set up an LLC (in which the investors were members), and refinanced under the LLC name. Of course, you would have to have a strong enough investor(s) to qualify for the loan.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2008, 08:07 AM
 
Location: Plano, Texas
1,672 posts, read 4,481,367 times
Reputation: 642
you cannot sell a share of your home. Look at each of your bills and see if you can cut back on other expenses. Cut out premium channels on cable, contact other electrical companies in your area and see if you can get a lower rate on electricity. If you have a cell phone, get rid of home phone. Use coupons when you buy groceries and dont eat out. Get into what i call survivor mode. try not to touch your 401k as that is for retirement.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2008, 08:30 AM
 
Location: OK
2,523 posts, read 4,218,893 times
Reputation: 1485
Sure you can sell a share of your home. There are plenty of properties owned by partners.

Just be very careful who you sell a share to ..... you will have to deal/live with that person for a long time to come.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2008, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Plano, Texas
1,672 posts, read 4,481,367 times
Reputation: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
Sure you can sell a share of your home. There are plenty of properties owned by partners.

Just be very careful who you sell a share to ..... you will have to deal/live with that person for a long time to come.

If the OP has a mortgage, she already has a partner and that partner would have to agree to allow her to sell a share of the home. that is very unlikely.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2008, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood, DE and beautiful SXM!
10,079 posts, read 11,405,376 times
Reputation: 25022
If you sell a share of your home to another person, you are partners with that person until one of you buys the other out, or depending on the documents, until one of you dies. I would look for a roommate. If you don't want a roommate, cut out anything, and I mean anything, that is not absolutely necessary. Either a cell phone or a landline, not both. No eating out, even at lunch. Drop anything except basic cable. If you don't care about tv, cut out cable completely. Clip coupons religiously. Drop any memberships that are not reimbursed by your employer. You get the picture. Do not borrow on your retirement accounts as you will regret that (and you have to pay it back and have a penalty). Personally, I would rather do all the cutting back than have a roommate.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2008, 02:15 PM
 
Location: OK
2,523 posts, read 4,218,893 times
Reputation: 1485
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorBurek View Post
If the OP has a mortgage, she already has a partner and that partner would have to agree to allow her to sell a share of the home. that is very unlikely.
I own several properties which I have just filed Quit Claim Deeds on to transfer 100% ownership from me to 50/50 with somebody else. One of those properties is mortgaged.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top