Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2008, 04:26 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,338,277 times

Advertisements

WaMu is largest U.S. bank failure - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080926/ts_nm/us_washingtonmutual_jpmorgan_news - broken link)

Getting really bad now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 07:07 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,909,146 times
Nah, no reason to panic -- JPMorgan bought it. Business as usual will go on with WaMu throughout the change.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:39 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,964,392 times
Besides, everyone saw this one coming.... there have been threads about it for months. WAMU had a huge stake in subprime through their Long Beach Financial division and they dove heavily into Option ARMs as well.

Their deposits are FDIC insured, but there won't be any tapping into the funds anyways because Chase has taken over all of them. No need to worry about your money there or anything.

Worrying about the Option ARM mortgages they have and the homeowners.... that is a different matter. Hopefully they will follow Wachovias and Bank Uniteds lead. They are trying to aggresively refinance these loans... not sure how well it will work as many are upside down or unable to make a fully amortizing payment, but at least they are trying to be proactive.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:15 PM

253 posts, read 1,179,827 times
Just curious - if I have a credit card balance with them that I could pay off, is it better to do it now or wait? I am not incurring any interest as it is throuhg a promotion where I have no interest til February, so I could pay it off, but have been letting my money collect interest and was going to pay off in December. (I've of course been making the minimum payment all along, but since it was essentially an interest free loan I wasn't rushing).

Old 09-26-2008, 12:38 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,964,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokipenelope View Post
Just curious - if I have a credit card balance with them that I could pay off, is it better to do it now or wait? I am not incurring any interest as it is throuhg a promotion where I have no interest til February, so I could pay it off, but have been letting my money collect interest and was going to pay off in December. (I've of course been making the minimum payment all along, but since it was essentially an interest free loan I wasn't rushing).

Won't make a difference. Your credit card will eventually get transferred and you will get a Chase branded card in the mail. Any offers you have should be left the same, such as promotional 0% rates.

The new interest rate on purchases, fees and rewards programs might change however. Read the fine print when they send you the new disclosures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages