Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 05:53 PM

1,673 posts, read 6,999,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
You can play with the numbers to figure out the turn point for the no PMI {Is it also no fee} loan. When I did it would be 5-6 years at a 0.5% differential.

If you are talking re-fi I would be scared of future inflation - look at mortgage rates for the last 40 years - that is about how far back you have to go to beat 5.25.
This is incorrect. In January of this year rates for a 30 yr fixed were 5.25%, so you only need to go back 9 months not 40 years. Also, in June of 2004 rates were even lower then 5.25, i locked several clients into 30 year fixed rates under 5%.

Please be careful when reading posters who do not know the facts.

I would suggest you take option 2. Even though option 1 is a lower rate, once you add in the pmi you are paying you actually have a higher rate. Plus if you make more then $105,000 the pmi is not tax deductible making option 2 even more appealing.

Last edited by VictorBurek; 10-10-2008 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: forgot to answer OP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 06:16 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,508,433 times
[quote=VictorBurek;5639033]This is incorrect. In January of this year rates for a 30 yr fixed were 5.25%, so you only need to go back 9 months not 40 years. Also, in June of 2004 rates were even lower then 5.25, i locked several clients into 30 year fixed rates under 5%.

quote]

5.25 is about as low as it has gotten in a long time and a very good rate; that was my point. There may be blibbits in time were the rates briefly dipped that low or even lower, but overall look at the trends............... no ...............I don't have a crystal ball - nobody does but if inflation kicks in, well rates will go up again, if deflation does - well not sure how much more rates go down but the value of the property will drop so who knows what then? I would take 5.25 and be happy.

hhttp://www.lender411.com/mortgage-articles/37.php

History of Mortgage Rates (HSH Associates)

http://www.phoenixrealestateguy.com/...end-charts/675

Old 10-10-2008, 08:21 PM

[quote=grannynancy;5639278]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorBurek View Post
This is incorrect. In January of this year rates for a 30 yr fixed were 5.25%, so you only need to go back 9 months not 40 years. Also, in June of 2004 rates were even lower then 5.25, i locked several clients into 30 year fixed rates under 5%.

quote]

5.25 is about as low as it has gotten in a long time and a very good rate; that was my point. There may be blibbits in time were the rates briefly dipped that low or even lower, but overall look at the trends............... no ...............I don't have a crystal ball - nobody does but if inflation kicks in, well rates will go up again, if deflation does - well not sure how much more rates go down but the value of the property will drop so who knows what then? I would take 5.25 and be happy.

hhttp://www.lender411.com/mortgage-articles/37.php

History of Mortgage Rates (HSH Associates)

http://www.phoenixrealestateguy.com/...end-charts/675
I agree, rates earlier this year where only that low for a few days, now 2004 was a different story, but i was just trying to correct an inaccurate statement. i dont have a crystal ball either but you said the value of property will drop, so are you sure you dont have a crystal ball?

Old 10-10-2008, 09:32 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,508,433 times
Well, I said it would drop if deflation occurs.............If I had a cyrstal ball I would have cashed out my 403b last August ....... Who knows what is going to happen next, for all I know Bush will declare martial law, pick up the red phone and "Someone will set the spark off and we will all be blown away" [Merry Minuet, Kingston Trio]

But surely that is a really decent rate, no? When I did my math, if the plans are to stay longer than 5,6 years [or whatever works out for the loan]**, better to go for a slightly higher outlay up front and get a lower interest rate. ..... Now, the PMI may be a different thing - if house values actually drop, you may have a lot longer to go to be able to appraise at having 80% equity than if they were to increase and you may stuck with PMI for a long time. So it is a gamble on an unknown economy?

**Isn't THAT what the OP needs to do? Run the numbers for the different scenarios?

Old 10-14-2008, 01:40 PM
GMU GMU started this thread

56 posts, read 552,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorBurek View Post
I would suggest you take option 2. Even though option 1 is a lower rate, once you add in the pmi you are paying you actually have a higher rate. Plus if you make more then $105,000 the pmi is not tax deductible making option 2 even more appealing.
I was not aware of this, so thank you very much. Upon research, it looks like the PMI tax deduction is good until 2010, and who knows after that. But, since I make close to that it wouldn't be worth my while, anyway, and loan option # 2, without the PMI, is looking to be the best to go with.

Also, the I/O option is now at 6.5%, so unless something crazy happens to lower that rate substantially, I will not consider the interest-only option.

Thank you all for the discussion. Looks like the tax savings on the 5.875, no PMI loan make it the front-runner.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:51 PM

58 posts, read 198,923 times
Default 3 loans

gmu,

Take the interest only. I'd sure like to know who would offer an interest only loan in these times? I take it you're not putting in any cash?

Keith G.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMU View Post
I was not aware of this, so thank you very much. Upon research, it looks like the PMI tax deduction is good until 2010, and who knows after that. But, since I make close to that it wouldn't be worth my while, anyway, and loan option # 2, without the PMI, is looking to be the best to go with.

Also, the I/O option is now at 6.5%, so unless something crazy happens to lower that rate substantially, I will not consider the interest-only option.

Thank you all for the discussion. Looks like the tax savings on the 5.875, no PMI loan make it the front-runner.
I think you are making a good call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages