Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 11:44 AM

253 posts, read 1,181,896 times

Advertisements

I think I know the answer to my question, but thought I would double check. I was promised a rate lock, and when I went to confirm it (it hadn't been sent in writing to me yet, which bothered me), I was told, oh, you didn't really confirm, and the market has changed so now your rate is going to be XYZ higher. (I had verbally committed to it and was waiting on the estimate). Is that normal? I know with nothing in writing I'm essentially screwed regardless of if the broker either made a mistake or lied to me to begin with. I've been fighting to get it in writing all of last week before signing a contract Sunday (tomorrow) as I am not comfortable signing (even with a due diligence period) without having the finances in writing. Would anyone here recommend signing the contract and trying to get the financing worked out Monday? I can afford the house with the higher rate but one of the reasons I was buying was due to the better rate, I wouldn't be buying without it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 11:48 AM

877 posts, read 2,077,003 times
Even if your rate lock was able to be confirmed orally, it is too much hassel and money to get to a "he said/she said" situation.

Ask to talk to the lender's (broker's?) manager. Explain the situation and why you will be using a different lender/broker for your business.

It might work, should be worth a shot at least.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:54 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,587,007 times
I would also recommend to shop with another lender.

You may get a better rate with someone else

Old 10-11-2008, 02:56 PM

I'm working on it. I keep hearing from everyone that the best I can do is 6% without buying down the points, and to wait and see if anything gets better Monday.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:31 AM

Just curious - is there anywhere I can report this guy for handling our rate lock incorrectly, or is my only recourse to complain to his boss (and I know they are not about to buy my rate down on their own to what it was supposed to be). Just curious about my options before I back out on the seller.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:45 AM

you cant report anyone for not locking in the rate on time but you can report him for not disclosing the rate change (if he didnt)

you can report him for bait/switch but that's IF you close with him, and can prove that he made more compensation in offering you the higher rate.

Basically, the question is if he's making more compensation otherwise you can't say he didnt have your best interest in mind.

The seller can sue you if you are able to obtain financing, and still didnt want to close. More than likely they will just keep your earnest money deposit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokipenelope View Post
Just curious - is there anywhere I can report this guy for handling our rate lock incorrectly, or is my only recourse to complain to his boss (and I know they are not about to buy my rate down on their own to what it was supposed to be). Just curious about my options before I back out on the seller.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:55 PM

We're still in our due diligence period and from what my realtor has told me we can back out for any reason.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:03 PM

NEVER listen to what a realtor, loan officer, or anyone else that is NOT qualified to speak about the laws of your state.

It will be an attorney representing you at court not a realtor.

Make sure that you do speak to the attorney, and they should give you the answer. Let it come from their mouth not your realtors.

Quote:
We're still in our due diligence period and from what my realtor has told me we can back out for any reason.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:04 PM

Very good point, I will do so!

Old 10-12-2008, 03:11 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,290,255 times
Quote:
As far as reporting him -- write a letter to the broker's manager and/or the principal of the firm. Tell them what happened, and that you are not happy with what happened. In addition, let them know you are even more so not happy with how the situation is being handled and that their turning deaf ears has cost you valuable, irreplaceable time. Clearly state that if don't get satisfaction on this issue, you will be notifying the State Department of Banking and Insurance within X number of days. Get the exact name of the State regulatory agency and refer to it by name in your letter. You might want to send it via fax and hard copy via overnight mail, registered letter, etc. If you really want to play hardball, speak with an attorney and CC the attorney on the letter. Or, have the attorney write it for you and go down that road.

Any and all of this might be an exercise in futility. On principle I would take my business elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages