Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2008, 08:39 PM

42 posts, read 73,570 times

Advertisements

My fiancee and I would love to buy a starter home for $180,000. I am currently working as a teacher, bringing home $2700/mth. My fiancee will graduate from grad school in March and will then begin working in the public school system as a substitute teacher until the fall, when he will work full time. Our income will jump to about $5,000 in the spring and $5,400 in the fall. Currently, neither of us have much to speak of in savings, but my fiancee has about $30,000 in stocks that we're thinking we can liquidate for a down payment on a home. Right now, we are spending about $1900/mth., including rent and utilities. Neither of us have any credit card debt or student loans. We are planning to help my parents by spending about $5,000 on our wedding in July. We'd like to move to a new home in the spring, before the wedding. ANy advice you can offer would be so helpful! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 08:51 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
I would not be liquidating any stocks right now unless you have some phenomenal stocks that have not suffered over the past year and most recent few weeks.

With you being teachers do some research. Many states have first time home loans for teachers - e.g., downpayment assistance, straight downpayment etc.

You know, you could scale down your wedding plans and ask for a gift towards getting into a new home instead. You can have a great wedding without a big outlay of money. I am not sure how much downpayment you would need right now since things are headed back to 20% down.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:59 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
I would ask a banker or a mortgage broker. You sound like your in a good spot. the stocks may not be worth what your saying considering the turn of events in the last few weeks.
I would not liquidate stocks right now. hold them until they return to thier expected value.
Many banks and credit unions and even mortgage companies have teacher and first time buyer assistance. check em out.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:07 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,288,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smp0808 View Post
My fiancee and I would love to buy a starter home for $180,000. I am currently working as a teacher, bringing home $2700/mth. My fiancee will graduate from grad school in March and will then begin working in the public school system as a substitute teacher until the fall, when he will work full time. Our income will jump to about $5,000 in the spring and $5,400 in the fall. Currently, neither of us have much to speak of in savings, but my fiancee has about $30,000 in stocks that we're thinking we can liquidate for a down payment on a home. Right now, we are spending about $1900/mth., including rent and utilities. Neither of us have any credit card debt or student loans. We are planning to help my parents by spending about $5,000 on our wedding in July. We'd like to move to a new home in the spring, before the wedding. ANy advice you can offer would be so helpful! Thanks!
First, congratulations! All the best of luck to you and you future bride.

Second, and I very clearly know that this does not answer any of your questions -- however, just curious, do you know how much (approximately) a $150,000 mortgage will cost you (at a fair rate)? Any idea how much the taxes are on this home?

As far as your questions -- anyone who is qualified to answer these questions is absent of facts they would need in order to do so. You should sit down with a qualified financial advisor -- not a mortgage broker, not a real estate agent, and not a simple, one dimensional, myopic calculation that says you should spend no more than X % of your income(s) on housing costs.

Liquidating stocks now, generically speaking (and I hate speaking generically) is a bad idea. That is why an extremely high % of "retail" investors end up with pitiful rates of return over time . . . because they are their own worst enemy.

In addition, you might be left with very little savings, emergency fund, etc. Seek professional and expert advise and counsel. Good luck!!!

Old 10-14-2008, 07:48 PM

9 posts, read 38,055 times
Generally a bank will use somewhere in the neighborhood of about 32-36% of your monthly gross income for housing expense depending on the lenders guidelines. Meaning that if your gross monthly income is $2,700, then somewhere between $864 and $972 can be used to cover your mortgage, taxes and insurance. Depending on how much your going to put as a down payment, it looks like it will be a little tight qualifying with that income. Obviously if you wait until he is working full time, you will be in a much better position to qualify for a loan. There is more information that would be needed to guide you correctly, but I hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages