Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 10:17 AM

52 posts, read 132,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runrig View Post
Appreciate your thoughts on these fees for a refinance in this good faith estimate (GFE) I got on Monday this week.. rates have moved down a fraction since then I believe.

My local mortgage broker (recommended by a good friend BTW) is quoting me the following fees for a 30 year fixed refinance in the San Francisco Bay Area for $370K. I asked for a 1% point quote.

6.25% rate (no APR written on GFE)
15 day lock
no escrow / impound

ITEMS PAYABLE IN CONNECTION WITH LOAN
801 - 1% loan origination fee - $3,749
804 - credit report - $16
808 - mortgage broker's fee - $695
810 - processing fee - $695
811 - underwriting fee - $250
- Bank Admin Fee - $500
---------------------------------
SubTotal - $5,905

TITLE CHARGES
1101 - Closing or escrow fees - $250
1105 - Document preparation fees - $75
1106 - Notary fees - $150
1108 - Title insurance - $625
- Title Courier fee - $60
- Title Endorsements - $100

GOV, RECORDING & TRANSFER CHARGES
1201 - Recording fees - $100
-----------------------------------
SubTotal - $1,360

TOTAL Fees (not counting the 1% point) - $3,516

The YSP is $188 or 0.05% of the loan amount.

1. Is it common to charge the 1% on top of the loan+fees as in this case?
2. There is both 801 and 808 which some people think is double dipping by the broker - is that common?
3. A Bank Admin fee of $500 seems like a lot on top of everything.. I have not seen this before in other GFEs.

He has told me that nothing is negotiable - take it or leave it.

Thanks for all your expert advice!

Peter
p.s. first time refinancing from my current 5% 5/1 ARM and due to expire in Nov 2009. With this loan we got load of junk fees added at the last minute so I want to understand what is going on this time much better
If I were you, I would definitely look elsewhere. Talk to brokers, but do not disregard a bank mortgage company. I work for a bank mortgage company, and we do not have all the junk fees in this good faith, and I don't think most do.
- Bank Admin Fee - $500
I could see one of these fees being realistic, but all of them is just too much. You can get a better deal, especially nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 11:27 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ Charlotte View Post
If I were you, I would definitely look elsewhere. Talk to brokers, but do not disregard a bank mortgage company. I work for a bank mortgage company, and we do not have all the junk fees in this good faith, and I don't think most do.
- Bank Admin Fee - $500
I could see one of these fees being realistic, but all of them is just too much. You can get a better deal, especially nowadays.
I agree, more than a little high and agree a bank owned mortgage company should be consulted. (They have the authority to waive fees). I also work for a bank mortgage company and our grand total on junk fees is $395 processing, $57 tax service and $22 flood cert (we do have appraisal and credit - but that's everywhere). When I was with a large national lender, the junk fees were below $500.

Shop it and then tell him you'll leave it. Of course, if you have to close by the end of the month, you may have no choice but to stay put.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:33 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,588,833 times
There's no such things as 'junk fees' anymore.

What if the lender charges 1000 and it says..Just because I want to charge you fee...but his rate is way lower than everyone else's?

You must shop the rate AND the fees.

Some banks do not charge all the fees but their rate can be a lot higher than a broker.

This is why you should always shop around AND make sure to compare the lender fees AND the rate

Old 10-20-2008, 05:28 PM

1,673 posts, read 7,018,907 times
Renriq02 is correct. Banks can charge less fees but give you a higher rate but so could this broker. I said on an earlier post, the only fee i would question is the broker fee of $695.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:47 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,356,008 times
Those are definitely junk fees and they are definitely high. I would walk away. Though I haven't applied for a mortgage in a while, so maybe lenders are able to get away with this stuff now. When I was in the biz, a GFE like this would have been shredded and the loan officer would be hurting for business. I don't have my HUD1 handy from my last house, but I think the only junk fee I paid was $395 doc. prep. They are negotiable and I knew what I was doing, having worked in the industry. I just had my best friend (then still in the biz) recommend to me his most honest broker and tell him ahead of time that I knew how to shop a deal. Worked like a charm. I didn't even have to bust balls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages