Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2008, 11:34 AM
GMU GMU started this thread

56 posts, read 552,905 times

Advertisements

With "only" 10% down, I've heard many lenders are no longer offering 30-year fixed rate Interest-only mortgages. I know Wells Fargo got out of offering these. Does anyone know any big lenders that are still doing this type of loan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 11:50 AM

768 posts, read 4,341,674 times
If the property is not in a declining market then Taylor Bean & Whitaker will go to 90% LTV with a 720 credit score (720 is needed to get mortgage insurance). Taylor Bean doesn't do any direct lending though, only through community banks & mortgage brokers. Community banks probably aren't going to advertise "we offer Taylor Bean & Whitaker mortgage programs" so you are going to have to dial banks up. A mortgage broker will be more likely to tell you if they can offer you Taylor Bean & Whitaker's programs though.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:58 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,913,903 times
I also think you will find it at B of A and most likely JP Morgan Chase. Regional banks (like Chevy Chase and SunTrust) also offer the loan program. We are a $50B (small, but not tiny) bank and we package and sell our loans after settlement, which is another way lenders market their loans. Sometimes we will sell the servicing (collecting of payments) and sometimes we will sell the note and retain servicing. That is the "secondary market," where we (the banks) obtain funds for the loans.
<<<I wrote the above and then consulted my other pc so I could give a range in rates......I receive our daily rates via email - today I had to testify in court, so I never really looked at them....I just opened my email and at 7 PM and LOL, below is what greeted me>>>>
That said, we received an after hour "major announcement" regarding rates. Investors have realized the "miasma" created by Fannie and Freddie, with all kinds of bumps, unannounced, and catching everyone unaware. Earlier, there was a strange and wild rumor about Fannie and Freddie "being done w/ mortgages" and the concensus was the person voicing the rumor got into some magic brownies.
If I don't laugh, I'll cry....(not really, but close). We still have FHA to 625K!!! We still have many with A credit that need to refinance in the next 6 months. I will post more as I get concrete details. I imagine the financial networks will be carrying this.

Quite honestly, I don't know what to think, except, we are in unchartered waters and a long way from being out of this mess. The government markets still appear to be unaffected. But as of earlier today, we had IO on our 30 year. Will it be a case of here today, gone tomorrow? If you aren't under contract and ready to lock, you may be better off waiting to decide on financing once you find the home.

Last edited by SmartMoney; 11-03-2008 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: fixing my whining and sentences I repeated.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:44 AM

1,673 posts, read 7,018,083 times
Lenders are still offering a vast array of interest only products.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:39 AM
GMU GMU started this thread

56 posts, read 552,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorBurek View Post
Lenders are still offering a vast array of interest only products.
Many have told me, at least, that they are no longer doing them. My broker is also telling me that all of the lenders he deals with are no longer offering them. I'm not sure if that is because they are not offering them on the 'secondary market', or the lenders have dropped the loan completely. That is what I was wondering...

Old 11-04-2008, 08:25 AM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times
Smile Interest only loans

They are still being offered. Try a mortgage broker. They will offer a variety of products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages