Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 06:20 AM

2 posts, read 7,705 times

Advertisements

We are loosing our dream home due to the economy. The bank will accept a deed in lieu if we give them $25,000 over the next 5 years. Otherwise they said they will forclose and sue us for $400,000, which we don't have. I have never heard of a bank asking for money to do a deed in lieu. Is this normal? Do we have an alternate choice? Please help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 07:11 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,207,167 times
It is perfectly normal. Did you think you would just "walk away"? It sounds like a much better deal than $400K. And even if you dont have $400K now, if they would sue you, the judgment would exist for a long long long time-and they could do things like garnish your wages.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:18 AM

930 posts, read 2,422,640 times
I wrote a check for 24k when I sold my last house. Not to sound harsh, and attempting to have every bit of sympathy here.... but you play the game with the banks money and sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

I'd be dam grateful they reduced it to 25,000.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:38 AM

682 posts, read 2,565,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
It is perfectly normal. Did you think you would just "walk away"? It sounds like a much better deal than $400K. And even if you dont have $400K now, if they would sue you, the judgment would exist for a long long long time-and they could do things like garnish your wages.
What is happening with the people who are just mailing in their keys? Sounds like "walking away" isn't as easy as people think.

altus2006

Old 11-08-2008, 11:27 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altus2006 View Post
What is happening with the people who are just mailing in their keys? Sounds like "walking away" isn't as easy as people think.

altus2006
Well, I hope they're getting sued, and getting their wages garnished. Did you think they could just say "sorry, my bad" and get away without paying for what they promised to pay for? I hope not!

Old 11-08-2008, 12:00 PM

824 posts, read 2,335,408 times
This was moved from the Phoenix forum. If the house was in Arizona, deficiency judgements are unavailable for single-family properties under 2.5 acres and the lender is lying. If the house is not in Arizona, here is a link:

Foreclosure laws - State foreclosure laws - Foreclosures.com

Old 11-08-2008, 12:37 PM

682 posts, read 2,565,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Well, I hope they're getting sued, and getting their wages garnished. Did you think they could just say "sorry, my bad" and get away without paying for what they promised to pay for? I hope not!
I am not in favor of mailing in the keys and letting the rest of us pay for their lack of responsibility. I was just questioning what really happens when people renege on their house obligation. Too people think they are home free if they just walk away.

altus2006

Old 11-08-2008, 02:51 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,905,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altus2006 View Post
I am not in favor of mailing in the keys and letting the rest of us pay for their lack of responsibility. I was just questioning what really happens when people renege on their house obligation. Too people think they are home free if they just walk away.

altus2006
There is no one set standard - I think that is one reason there is so much confusion. What has happened on the federal level: a moratorium on issuing 1098's on the written off debt. The was the normal course, then the defaulting homeowner had to deal with the IRS. So, if 100K was lost on the foreclosure, the homeowner was reported to have 100K income.

It is my understanding, the banks use to have two choices, write it off as bad debt and issue the 1098 or go after the deficiency judgment, but not both. The feds took the 1098 option away, many are back to the other course of action.

What I would want to know, does the bank have recourse of any kind? It just does not seem possible there would be no protection of any kind. Otherwise, who would want to lend in AZ?

Old 11-08-2008, 06:41 PM

824 posts, read 2,335,408 times
Quote:
"It is my understanding, the banks use to have two choices, write it off as bad debt and issue the 1098 or go after the deficiency judgment, but not both. The feds took the 1098 option away, many are back to the other course of action."
Whether state law permits deficiency judgements in full, in part, or not at all for these loans is not a federal matter.

Quote:
"It just does not seem possible there would be no protection of any kind. Otherwise, who would want to lend in AZ?"
Several states do not permit deficiency judgements. Arizona is one of them. They lent money in AZ (at a slightly higher rate than some states) because most people paid the money back and the lenders profited. Most people still pay the money back, but many do not. The only negative would be a black mark on your credit report. For many, unloading six-figures of debt is worth that cost.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:16 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,905,462 times
Quote:
Whether state law permits deficiency judgements in full, in part, or not at all for these loans is not a federal matter.
Any regulation pertaining to the IRS most certainly is a Federal problem.

As for the rest, a legal opinion is strongly recommended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages