U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2008, 06:57 PM

58 posts, read 185,805 times

Advertisements

Anybody know any lenders doing construction loans? I'm a FL. M.B. & have a client who owns 21/2 acres and wants to build a home on it---himself---not through a builder. He's got 650 FICO and he and his wife got 90 K yearly income but---so far---I can't find a lender doing these loans.

Keith G.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 07:10 PM

4,370 posts, read 11,441,470 times
I work for a major bank in the construction lending department and I tell you they will not bite on a client who has a 650 credit score. His only chance is to have a construction background and have plenty of money in reserves. I have a desk full of loans were folks started building their own home only to find out latter they are way over their heads. Construction loans have become very tight because of the market.

Reggie

Old 11-23-2008, 07:22 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times
Suntrust was doing a lot of construction to perm loans at one point, although I agree, I think that the 650 FICO might be a problem.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:32 PM

28,441 posts, read 71,005,190 times
The other thing that is going to hurt this guy is having 2 1/2 acres -- if that can be subdivided and THAT is another red flag for lenders. If they wanted to underwrite a DEVELOPER that is a business loan, not a mortgage. Of course if he has a relationship with a bank that understood this is just going to be a "homestead" he might get somewhere. Maybe even inquire with a county agriculture office -- there are still some farmer coops that do that sort of loan.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:36 AM

Default construction loan

Thanks for the input guys; I'm still working on the loan, so far one lender out of Michigan is giving it a look but it don't look very promising. The 21/2 acres is actually split from 5 acres and won't subdivide further. Suntrust and all the rest are passing it by mostly because the borrowers can't actually prove that they have any experience building a house, even though they insist they can and will do it.

Keith G.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:55 AM

768 posts, read 4,034,321 times
With no experience I don't know any lender who'd just give some random land owners money to use how they see fit. Would you?

Old 12-02-2008, 07:55 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith G View Post
Thanks for the input guys; I'm still working on the loan, so far one lender out of Michigan is giving it a look but it don't look very promising. The 21/2 acres is actually split from 5 acres and won't subdivide further. Suntrust and all the rest are passing it by mostly because the borrowers can't actually prove that they have any experience building a house, even though they insist they can and will do it.

Keith G.
Between the lack of experience and marginal credit score, if I were a lender I'd most likely pass as well. Sorry.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:07 AM

Yeah,

You're probably both right but I just got a tip on a company, aptly named Construction Loan Company, CLC, out of Howell, Michigan, who does only construction loans. A slew of paperwork and they limit me to 1.5% fee; they obviously get any and all yield spread, but I got no other takers and am just wondering if it's gonna be worth my time and effort if it ain't gonna fly anyway. They're doing a one loan close, meaning they're gonna close it before building starts, then refi them. They pay interest only until the refi. Of course, I'll be out of any of that, I just don't want to take any heat if they run into problems, as I live a couple blocks away from them and am selling their parents' home. It's gotta go through FNMA's D.O. and their D.U. so I know it's gonna take forever too. Anyone heard of this company CLC?

Keith G.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:24 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,643,503 times
like i said in the other post, i've used them. remember you can refinance them 6 months after closing if the rate they end up with isn't that good. another thing to note, is the interest only payments are based on the amount of the current balance drawn. so the payment will progressively go up.

that is why its called construction to permanent. its a construction loan that turns into a permanent loan at closing.

keep us updated, i am curious to know how the construction rates at at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages