Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2008, 11:51 AM

15 posts, read 61,899 times

Advertisements

I have applied to my loan servicer for a deed in lieu. The underwriter has told me that the investor (Freddie Mac) will go ahead with it but that thye have "back end" mortgage insurance on the loan. WHat does "back end" mortgage insurance mean? He also said that the insurer needs to approve the DILF inorder to finalize the deal. How often do PMI companies approve/refuse these deals? I was also told that they may ask for a contribution from me to get the deal done either lump sum or payment plan. My current mortgage is 200,000 and the investor values the condo at 93,000. I need to move up north for family medical reasons and am leaving on Dec 20. I have tried to understand what the PMI company insures......is it the whole mortgage or anything over 80% of my current mortgage which would be $40,000? ANy help would be much appreciated.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 12:27 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I think you may be approaching this in the wrong way -- PMI is not like auto or homeowners insurance, there is not a "deductible". If you cannot live up to your mortgage obligations the PMI goes to the lender to compensate them for the losses that YOU have caused.

The PMI company is then going COME AFTER YOU to squeeze out ANYTHING THEY CAN. If you have funds and are not using them to pay off your mortgage you are violating the terms of your mortgage and the PMI company could go after pretty much any/all of your assets.

In practice that is not how a PMI company is going to utilize its resources with so many defaults right now, but THAT is ultimately what you should fear...

Old 11-27-2008, 08:43 PM

733 posts, read 4,653,038 times
There are many, many nuances to the subrogation rights of private mortgage insurers. Among other things you need to determine the identity of, and insurable interests, of all the parties [you and the bank] to figure out if there is any right on the part of the insurer to try and come after you to make itself whole.

Contact a lawyer for assistance and specifically inquire what, if any, knowledge she or he has relating to private mortgage insurance subrogation claims. You will, I'm sure, have to shop around a bit as most lawyers have no experience in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages