Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 03:57 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing about all of these people with mortgage problems working with their mortgage companies for better rates. Any way that a good-paying client with excellent credit rating can re-negotiate the mortgage rate? I would like to have a lower rate since rates have gone down. Anyone know anything about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 06:01 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
If the rates now are lower then your current mortgage you can refinance. Our rate is lower then the current rates but I would love to get a break on the interest rate like those that are having problems. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be responsible .

Old 11-28-2008, 07:17 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I've yet to see any "gosh that is better than I could get" rate/terms handed out -- the lenders are not going **** on their good customers to help keep the dead beats' red ink from bleeding over the balance sheet...

Old 11-29-2008, 09:23 AM

8,673 posts, read 22,905,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
I keep hearing about all of these people with mortgage problems working with their mortgage companies for better rates. Any way that a good-paying client with excellent credit rating can re-negotiate the mortgage rate? I would like to have a lower rate since rates have gone down. Anyone know anything about this?
It's called a refinance. As tempting as it is to get on the gravy train, stay away and remember, you never get something for nothing. All these so-called great deals have a price tag. Perhaps you are only hearing the new proposed interest rates and not the conditions that accompany the modification. Chances are since you are paying your mortgage as agreed, you would be one of the first to cry and complain when you saw the cost of the "free ride."

There will always be those that feel they are entitled, and usually, they are the ones that have to learn the lesson the hard way.

Your payoff will be the unrestricted, untethered refinance on your own time-frame, not waiting the 3 to 4 months some of the modification homeowners are experiencing. The rates are poised to come down hard and fast. Start gathering those documents now, so you are ready to move fast.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:09 PM

1,673 posts, read 7,016,839 times
why not just call another lender or broker and look into a refinance, especially if you have above a 5.5% interest rate.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:53 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
I just bought a house last year, had 6.75 I called the bank and I can get 5.375 so I'm doing it. I'm dealing with the bank that has my mortgage (local), she explained the costs to me and I still feel like it is something I should do.

I didn't consider checking other places, I like dealing with the local bank and their branches.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:24 AM

2 posts, read 8,227 times
I used a great service called InstantLoanModifications.com The site automatically prepares the personalized bank ready documents needed to do a loan modification. They also gave me live help to answer all my questions regarding submission instructions, negotiation tips, etc... It should work for anyone that has above market interest rates and some type of "hardship". The system has sample hardship templates that are customizable and personalized for you. I think they have a 100% Money back guarantee too.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:57 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times
The thing is, I don't want the extra hassle of a re-finance. I just want the bank to give me the better rate because I am a good client. I pay on-time, have no credit card debt etc. Don't good payers deserve some type of perk for being the good guy?

Old 12-02-2008, 09:31 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
No it is not necessarily called a re-finance. If you stay with the same bank it is not re-financing necessarily. It is a re-negotiation or modification of rates, which would not require a closing. Much simpler process and less expensive than re-financing. It involves you paying a fixed fee for the rate modification and bam, it's done. Much much less stressful...

SG, I called my bank, and their current rate is way too high.... they are not willing to negotiate. other banks make it worth re-financing. Money talks.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:45 AM

768 posts, read 4,340,801 times
You can want all day long but it doesn't mean you are going to get what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages