Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 05:59 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,781,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
5.125% here.

I'm hearing rates may skyrocket, so should I lock in now? Rates have went up steadily in the past week and a half.
Yeah, my broker quoted me 5.125% with zero points, 30 year fixed, 20% downpayment.

My other quotes were 4.875% with 0.7 points
4.75% with 1 point.

I think we are all getting very similiar rates (yeah at least we know the brokers are being straight up with numbers).

As another poster mentioned before on this thread, if you are in a refinance mode and have time, I'd wait. I doubt the rates will "skyrocket". We seem to be in a standstill mode.

If you are in a purchase agreement contract, than it may be best to lock in as soon as possible.

I have 40 more days to closing on my home, so I just decided to go ahead and lock at 4.875% with 0.7 points. I'm paying almost 3K in points fees but will make up the difference in about 27-30 months.

I know the people who got mortgages in the 80s were paying 13-15% rate. Even my older siblings were got their first homes around 1998 were paying close to 7%.

So we can't complain too much for rates in the low 5s and high 4s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 02:47 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,480,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Yeah, my broker quoted me 5.125% with zero points, 30 year fixed, 20% downpayment.

I know the people who got mortgages in the 80s were paying 13-15% rate. Even my older siblings were got their first homes around 1998 were paying close to 7%.

So we can't complain too much for rates in the low 5s and high 4s.
Thats what we got 5.12 no points. It did drop one day to 4.8 with no points but that was 15 days after we locked and we are to close on Tuesday Jan 28th....I hope. I am glad we didn't shop around and change banks now because it would of pushed our closing to a later date and we can't change the date since the house we are buying is 1,200 away and already bought our plane tickets to fly there. Sometimes it just isn't possible to change the rate. I heard the rates were going up also.

Yep in 1980 we got a 13 percent interest rate on our home and we had to pay points to get that! Rates are great nowdays

Old 01-25-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
Thats what we got 5.12 no points. It did drop one day to 4.8 with no points but that was 15 days after we locked and we are to close on Tuesday Jan 28th....I hope. I am glad we didn't shop around and change banks now because it would of pushed our closing to a later date and we can't change the date since the house we are buying is 1,200 away and already bought our plane tickets to fly there. Sometimes it just isn't possible to change the rate. I heard the rates were going up also.

Yep in 1980 we got a 13 percent interest rate on our home and we had to pay points to get that! Rates are great nowdays
Yeah, the lowest interest rates were to be locked in around Jan 7-Jan 10th. The started slightly going up after that.

But locking in right now is peace of mind if you have close to closing on your home. I'm actually about 40 days away but I have to go to go out of town for business, prepare for my taxes (since I'm self-employed) it takes much longer. So I'm so busy doing so many things this time of year. I paid 0.7 points to get 4.875%. Paying 3K in points is a lot but I reasoned with myself, I could always work more overtime and make up the difference. Just less worries for me and I can get a good night sleep for locking into a mortgage. So locking is at anything around 5% for 30 year fix is something the majority of homeowners can live with.

So if the rates go down to 4.5 or 4.6 %, would I be kicking myself. Maybe for a little bit but in the overall scheme of things the interest rates are at or near their historic lows.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:57 PM

21 posts, read 66,571 times
We locked at 4.75% with .5 point. Our lender doesn't "like" points, but we discussed it and after 5 years we make our money back. We are closing on Wednesday (fingers crossed).

Really, these interest rates are phenomenal. I still sit in awe thinking that we will pay such a low interest rate. (Now, our house will be worth $1.75 next year, but that's another story...) :-)

Old 01-25-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camps2002 View Post
We locked at 4.75% with .5 point. Our lender doesn't "like" points, but we discussed it and after 5 years we make our money back. We are closing on Wednesday (fingers crossed).

Really, these interest rates are phenomenal. I still sit in awe thinking that we will pay such a low interest rate. (Now, our house will be worth $1.75 next year, but that's another story...) :-)
I don't know why your lender discourages "points" They are fully tax deductible in the year the loan closed, although that tax deduction is somewhat diminished if your total AGI is well over 150K a year. Second the break even situation for points is around 27-36 months. Most people will own their homes more than 3 years anyways in this market. I doubt most people buying these days are planning to "flip".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages