Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 01:47 AM

44 posts, read 190,602 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody!

I'm young and don't understand that much about the depths of mortgages and everything. I'm 22 and have had my own place since May. I put 10% down and have a 30 year fixed loan. I still owe $128,000. I'm not planning on moving for a few years but I keep having a question in the back of my head. What happens when I sell my place and buy another? Do I have to have a whole new down payment for the next property? If I sell the property for more than I owe do I get a check for the difference? When I get a new property does that loan compound with my previous loan?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 06:01 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,162,103 times
If you sell your house for more than the balance on your loan, you will get a check for the difference, minus any fees or costs, including the percentage owed to the real estate agent if you use one, that you as the seller are responsible for. Your current loan will be paid off by the proceeds of the sale price. So that loan will be satisfied. If you buy another property, you will need to qualify for a new loan and make a down payment the same way you did the first time. If, as is happening in the current economy, you have no equity in your house because you owe more on the loan than you can sell the house for, you will owe the difference to the mortgage company on your loan. So, obviously, you will want to hold onto the house and pay down the loan so that you are not "upside down" on the loan (owe more than it's worth). In the past, when real estate was appreciating, people would "buy up" by first buying a modest starter home, paying down the loan and having the property appreciate, then use the proceeds from the sale as a down payment to buy a more expensive home.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:30 AM

518 posts, read 2,531,703 times
You typically will have the closing on your place and the closing on your new house the same day. When you sell your house, the the money first goes to paying off your loan, taxes, fees and whatever else. Then you will get a check if there is money left over. Then you would use that check for your new downpayment and closing costs. You will then have a new loan for your new property.
If it does not work out like this and you buy a new house before your old house sells, you will then have 2 mortgages out and this is one way that foreclosures occur, because most people cannot afford 2 mortgages. When you buy a new house, you will probably want a contingency that you have to sell your old house first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages