Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2009, 06:19 PM

506 posts, read 2,279,474 times

Advertisements

I have a mortgage with Chase and i was told by a title person that i should be able to get chase to give my mortgage to another bank to save on the mortgage tax is this true??????????????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 08:02 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Are you just looking to refi? If you are talking about selling or giving the property to someone else, that's a different story.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:34 PM

Default I am looking to refi

My title search company said my bank should let my new bank assume the mortgatge???????????

Old 01-12-2009, 07:48 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,905,462 times
ASSUMPTION/ASSUME: When the noteholder (bank) allows the owner of a property to sell the property and the note transfers (all terms remain the same, balance, interest rate, payment dates) to the new buyer. Any difference between the sales price and the loan balance is paid from the new buyer to the seller.

The above is the definition of an assumption. When one bank buys a mortgage note from another bank, that is not an assumption. When one bank buys a mortgage note from another bank, the terms to the homeowner do not change.

The only thing I can think of from your statement is most states have a recordation tax. This tax is waived if the homeowner returns to the original lender, then tax is only paid on the difference between the original loan amount and the new loan amount. What the title company is telling you (I think) is if you can find a lender to broker your refinance loan to Chase, you may save some of the recordation with your refinance. (Personally, I find that to be a poor reason to select a lender).

The words "assume" and "assumption" would not even apply in a refinance transaction.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:39 AM

Default well you see

the recording fees in new York are very expensive.............they are over a point....so on a 300k loan it is about 3500 add that together with the rest of the cost and it is nearly 8 grand to refi a 300k loan with a different bank.............thats crazy..................the only way around this is if you go to the same bank than no transfer tax....the bull**** part is that you have already paid that tax when you bought the house and now they want you to pay it a second time....thats why the title girl said the bank should let your new bank assume the loan hence saving you the tax..........just wondering if anyone has done this before................

Old 01-12-2009, 04:22 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
That is a question I'm wondering, though.

Besides VA, are assumable mortgages still available? Locking in a low-rate assumable mortgage would be nice.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:12 PM

242 posts, read 735,241 times
I think after the market finally collapses by the end of 09, they will reintroduce the assumables. Probably start out as qualifying assumables and then move to non-qual. Mostly FHA/HUD stuff to start then mainstream.

As far the bank assuming the note. I think they mean the current holder of the note selling it to a different entity. Got nothing to do with you and it is not up to you .

Old 01-12-2009, 08:12 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,905,462 times
VA and FHA loans are assumable w/ qualifying. Many lenders will allow adjustable loans to be assumed, as long as, no conversion to fixed rates have been exercised. It would be nice to see them make a comeback, but I don't think we will ever see the non-qualifying assumptions again. The only way a comeback would happen, would be if banks would let up on their fear of liquidity. And, I don't see that happening as long as we have banks fearing getting caught holding the bag on bad mortgages, bad helocs and credit card debt.

As for the OP, why not just go back to Chase? Why find a middle man?

Old 01-12-2009, 08:14 PM

Default chase had higher rates.....i always like

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
VA and FHA loans are assumable w/ qualifying. Many lenders will allow adjustable loans to be assumed, as long as, no conversion to fixed rates have been exercised. It would be nice to see them make a comeback, but I don't think we will ever see the non-qualifying assumptions again. The only way a comeback would happen, would be if banks would let up on their fear of liquidity. And, I don't see that happening as long as we have banks fearing getting caught holding the bag on bad mortgages, bad helocs and credit card debt.

As for the OP, why not just go back to Chase? Why find a middle man?
to shop my bussiness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages