U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2009, 09:32 AM

573 posts, read 1,438,872 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't have even thought of it. My closer was a nice woman in her 50's, it was just me and her, I just wrote one check, for the amount on the bottom of the HUD statement. We did, however, share a couple of beers after the closing (she came in the evening). So technically, I guess I tipped her a Heineken.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 09:50 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,343,841 times
Sorry - I've never met a "title person" in my life. I've closed twice. I paid a lot of money for a title search and lender's title insurance policy, but my attorney did the closing. At the closing was my wife, myself, and my attorney and the seller's attorney. Maybe it is just how we did it or maybe it's a NJ thing?

Old 01-31-2009, 12:27 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,966,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebdj View Post
I wouldn't have even thought of it. My closer was a nice woman in her 50's, it was just me and her, I just wrote one check, for the amount on the bottom of the HUD statement. We did, however, share a couple of beers after the closing (she came in the evening). So technically, I guess I tipped her a Heineken.
Now there's a tip I wouldn't mind giving!

Old 01-31-2009, 01:38 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,086,154 times
Have closed on many houses,never used attorney,title company always did closing.Never ever a problem.Documents spell it out,forms are standard.Nothing ambiguous about forms,black and white.Also never thought about tipping.This last closing in Dec. was done so well after various problems that I would say she earned a tip.Regulated by state as to cost of title ins.,doc stamps and transfer fee,so why is attorney needed.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:05 PM

573 posts, read 1,438,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Now there's a tip I wouldn't mind giving!

Well, you know, it was a giving AND receiving thing.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:42 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,903,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
Have closed on many houses,never used attorney,title company always did closing.Never ever a problem.Documents spell it out,forms are standard.Nothing ambiguous about forms,black and white.Also never thought about tipping.This last closing in Dec. was done so well after various problems that I would say she earned a tip. Regulated by state as to cost of title ins.,doc stamps and transfer fee,so why is attorney needed.
In downstate NY, otherwise known as the Land of Litigation, the buyer and the seller ALWAYS have their own attorney. As soon as the seller accepts a buyer's offer, the entire process gets handed over to the respective attorneys and they take it from there. Seller's lawyer sends a contract of sale to the Buyer's lawyer, at which point "Let the haggling and nitpicking begin".

Here on LI, it's a rare contract that goes to contract without changes made to it. It may start out standard but there's always something that doesn't sit well with the other side and it just goes back and forth from there. The lawyers run the show hereabouts from the point of Accepted Offer to Handing Over The Keys.

It's been done this way since at least the 1960s, probably even before that. Nobody would dream of buying a house here without having a lawyer. It's just not done. All standard Offer Sheets contains places to fill in the name, address, and phone # of both the buyer's and the seller's attorney. If a buyer doesn't already have one, they better find one pretty darn quick, otherwise the deal will die a fast death. Neither realtors nor title companies are allowed to provide legal services here.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:26 PM

228 posts, read 1,008,950 times
I've never heard of this in NJ. I'm closing on a house in June, should be interesting to see what happens. I don't plan on tipping.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,054 times
Default tipping the person at closing for the title search?

I have closed on 5 houses in my lifetime and I have always "tipped" the person with the title company UNTIL YESTERDAY. I spoke to my lawyer that I find title searches to be very expensive and they seem unnecessary. He explained that I really should do it and gave his reasons why. okay, another grand down the tubes but then the insult to injury is to TIP the person from the title company! I had the courage yesterday to say NO. She gets paid from the title company that I feel already overcharges and then I should give her more money for doing her job. This, I was told is customary. Well, lots have changed over the years and this one is easy, SAY NO. Proud of myself for doing what I believe.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:50 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,267,064 times
Tipping the person who does the LEAST in the entire process, and is salaried.

Ridiculous.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:29 AM

4,787 posts, read 8,774,116 times
I think this is pretty much a NYC area thing.

When my parents sold their home in Westchester county NY they send me to go to the closing for them. I had a POA drawn up for me and attended with their attorney. Also on board were the buyers, the buyer's attorney, the title co. rep, and someone from the bank. I remember the buyers being told by the attorneys before proceedings started that it was accepted for them to tip the title guy.

Really ridiculous- too many people at closing, all with their hands out looking to get a piece of the pie above and beyond what they should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or