U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 10:30 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,098,930 times

Advertisements

Never heard of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 02:54 AM

4,383 posts, read 8,689,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Never heard of this.
I don't tip people besides those making below minimum wage where tips are assumed and those making close to minimum wage such as bell hops super and similiar. I can't imagine tipping someone in a professional position such as that.
I would only do this if they did something extraordinary FOR me. Doesn't sound like they did. I don't know about these people but I presume these people are making more than $9 an hour right?

Old 07-29-2013, 06:46 PM

3,091 posts, read 2,557,340 times
We definitely didn't tip when we bought our house in LA. I find the idea of tipping a white collar professional very strange. I honestly can't think of a single situation where I would give a professional a 'tip'. I've given 'Thank you' presents, but a cash tip? That's crazy.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:06 AM

774 posts, read 1,360,091 times
Default I'll tip you if you tip me

The tipping culture in the USA circa 2013 beggars belief.

I'm going to start carrying a jar around with me

Old 01-01-2014, 07:30 AM

4 posts, read 3,627 times
The New York mortgage market operates very different than the rest of the country, whether that is right or wrong is not for me to decide. Most title closers dont work for title companies , they represent them at the closing and rely on what they make at these closing. The title company pays them nothing. The title closer is responsible for clearing all liens and judgements, picking up taxes that are due and most important , paying off your mortgage. He travels distances to the closings , he incurs ups or fedex fees upwards of $100 (he must get payoffs and return packages to tile company overnite) .This is his job and he should be compensated. In New York its part of the process of the Mortgage business . The title closer sometimes travels to a closing where there is no mortgage to pay off, does all the work and collects nothing. The other closing where they make money is a balance to this. I'm sure no one out there would want to do work and do it for free.
As you may tell I'm a closer, I just wanted you to see it from my side of life,by the way business stinks, banks are very tight.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:18 AM

25 posts, read 28,140 times
We have never tipped and didn't even know it was expected. Is this common in all of the States? If not, how would a buyer know to do it? Does the RE agent let you know? I have never heard of this so.....weird.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:04 AM

16,524 posts, read 17,581,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Heck if I know! It never even occurred to me to tip someone who is already getting paid to do this service. They make a few hundred bucks, right? Why would I tip them? If they're expecting X amount of dollars, then they should just charge X amount of dollars.

I live in the Chicago suburbs, and we just refinanced our mortgage. A notary came to our house one evening so we could sign all the documents. I got the impression they tried to be as convenient as possible so they could get our business.
I'm with you. Everyone gets paid to do their job. I offer exceptional service and dammit none of my customers tip me either.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:55 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,264,972 times
I've seen threads about gift for realtors and tips for Title agents.

What about the person doing the Heavy Lifting? What about your Lender?

I would bet my mother's life on the fact that most of you blame your Loan Officer for the banking rules that came from the crash of the world economy. That, and the Lender is the one that must perform due diligence and investigate your ability, or lack thereof, to repay the loan.

But you are wrong. Your lender, that human being, works exponentially harder than anyone involved in the process. Show some gratitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or