U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 09:06 AM

2,197 posts, read 6,600,133 times

Advertisements

There's also freecreditreport.com-- the one with the funny commercials. Those jingles are the only reason I remembered, so advertising must work.

I just did a refi and the lender told me that anything over 800 was A-paper. It used to be 750 or so, so they've either raised their standards or it was just that lender. A lot of companies are closing credit accounts that haven't been used in the last year or reducing credit lines without informing the cardholder. Those things can drop your scores. And a higher-than-usual balance can raise your back-end debt ratio and cause you to be automatically declined. They usually check it again right before closing to make sure it hasn't gone up. They seem to check and re-check everything these days, after years of not checking anything at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 10:56 AM
jsk

12 posts, read 30,643 times
Default should be fine

As long as your credit score is 740 or above, you will get the same best available rate right now. I am not sure whether banks will increase the bar, but 740 is the one. As for your score, I have more than $15,000 credit card balances out of more than $100,000 credit line. My scores from different lenders are +/- 760. So, as long as your utilization is less than 19%, I believe your scores are well over 740.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:04 AM

540 posts, read 1,064,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcm View Post
That is my middle Fico credit score of 791.

I am closing on a house in July. How much do you think charging $2200 dollars on a credit card would affect that? I have a timing issue so I'm thinking of charging $2200 with thought of wiping it clean in 2 months, I also want the credit card points etc.
Are you planning on paying all this off and just doing this for points? If so, charge away but pay off before the bill is cut. Credit reporting agencies look at your statement balances; not the balances you've accumulated between statements.

If you're buying a house it helps to:

1) Pay off all the balances on all but one or two cards each month before the bill is cut
2) Keep your total balances low.

You leave a bit of a balance on one of your cards (go ahead and pay some off), as for some reason, this is seen as less risky. You've got nothing to hide. You're both using your credit and using it responsibly.

It also depends on your total credit limit. If you have $100,000 in credit, spending $2,200 isn't going to do squat. And you could spend $50,000 as long as you had it paid off before the bill was cut.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:30 AM

835 posts, read 3,533,588 times
Risk based adjustments- rate adjustments- go in 20 point increments with 740+ being top credit. 739-720 next tier, 700-719 next and so on. If you can see scores going along the left side of a grid and your loan to value in 5% increments across the top starting with < 60% being the floor and 95-97% loan to value being the maximum for select borrowers with over 700 scores.
Now more to your specifics- the higher your score the less impact something like this will make. You've shown a history of responsible use of credit so it doesn't make a creditor- scoring model- nervous that you've charged a purchase or 2. You may lose 5-10 points but nothing that will change your score qualificaitons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages