U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-07-2009, 10:27 AM
 
433 posts, read 1,538,776 times
Reputation: 168

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopo View Post
i don't know about that,
because isakson is proposing an ammendment
isakson amendment gives $15k tax credit to homebuyers - atlanta business chronicle:



fyi, i'm putting this information here again that i found in the irs webpage

tax credits provide funds for first-time homebuyers, childcare, education and more (http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=202107,00.html - broken link)
at the bottom of the page

credits save taxpayers money
these credits can increase a refund or reduce a tax bill. Usually, credits can only lower a tax liability to zero. But some credits, such as the eitc, the child tax credit, the recovery rebate credit and the first-time homebuyer credit, are refundable –– in other words, they can make the difference between a balance due and a refund.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...187935,00.html

q: i don’t owe taxes and did not have taxes taken from my paycheck, do i qualify for the credit?
a: Yes, the credit is fully refundable, and you can claim the credit even if no taxes were withheld from your paycheck.

wrong!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-07-2009, 10:32 AM
 
433 posts, read 1,538,776 times
Reputation: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyakamaraj View Post
so as of right now...we dont know the date when its going to start from...damn..my home closing on April 3rd week - May 1st week; I think i will get $7500 pay back only..

The President wants to sign this by the 16th of February. We are scheduled to close this Friday the 13th. Depending on what happens in the Senate we may move our closing to the 20th. After the Senate it goes to a committee made up of House and Senate members to fine tune it. Then it will go to the President and he will sign it immediately. I may be taking a chance since it may get tossed, which I doubt, or it could be delayed even more. I think it is worth it.

I think you'll be totally fine it this thing happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 11:26 AM
 
48,519 posts, read 81,030,761 times
Reputation: 17978
From what i saw on the news the 15000 deduction was not part of the compromise.That was the republican proposal and only threee republican were part of the compromise deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 12:45 PM
 
3,576 posts, read 5,904,462 times
Reputation: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
From what i saw on the news the 15000 deduction was not part of the compromise.That was the republican proposal and only threee republican were part of the compromise deal.
Yeah, there was no need to compromise on the 15K housing credit because both senate republicans and democrats agree on this amendment.

What I'm afraid of is when the bill passes back to the House, those house members will try to add an income limit provision to the 15K housing credit saying something like singles making less than $125K or couples making less than $250K a year would qualify.

That would kill the housing credit stimulus. If they were to put income limits, the people who could afford to stimulate the economy (those who have money to spend) will lose any incentive to jump back into the housing market.

I know you liberal Democrats will try to spin it another way by saying, "well the richer people already can afford to get whatever house they want and they do not need any help"

In this economy, any incentive tax credit will help move homes again, especially for people waiting on the sidelines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 01:13 PM
 
433 posts, read 1,538,776 times
Reputation: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Yeah, there was no need to compromise on the 15K housing credit because both senate republicans and democrats agree on this amendment.

What I'm afraid of is when the bill passes back to the House, those house members will try to add an income limit provision to the 15K housing credit saying something like singles making less than $125K or couples making less than $250K a year would qualify.

That would kill the housing credit stimulus. If they were to put income limits, the people who could afford to stimulate the economy (those who have money to spend) will lose any incentive to jump back into the housing market.

I know you liberal Democrats will try to spin it another way by saying, "well the richer people already can afford to get whatever house they want and they do not need any help"

In this economy, any incentive tax credit will help move homes again, especially for people waiting on the sidelines.
I agree. So many people are complaning that this is only going to help the wealthy. Who do you think supports this economy. Do you think the poor are out there paying thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars in taxes. Is it the poor who are going out and buying expensive home which are helping to stimulate the economy? Is it the poor who are going out and buying furniture and electronics?

Give me a break!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 05:53 PM
 
14,809 posts, read 18,811,177 times
Reputation: 11772
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
I know you liberal Democrats will try to spin it another way by saying, "well the richer people already can afford to get whatever house they want and they do not need any help"
What you are saying is completely false, and it can't be spun like that
because if somebody is rich, I guarantee that they are not buying their 1st house (Owning a house in the last 3 years disqualifies them)

No matter what anybody says, this helps 1st time buyers.
The problem is that it doesn't help all the people that have been layed off
(I guarantee they are not buying a house)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 05:55 PM
 
14,809 posts, read 18,811,177 times
Reputation: 11772
Quote:
Originally Posted by boilrmkr View Post
Who do you think supports this economy. Do you think the poor are out there paying thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars in taxes.
Poor people can't fly to Jamaica or Europe and spend their tax cut over there and they can't put their tax cut in a foreign bank account to avoid paying taxes.
All the money that they get, they spend it in our economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 06:14 PM
 
2 posts, read 9,704 times
Reputation: 10
I started building a home in june 2007 and are expecting my final inspection this month so I was interested in finding out if I will be able to quilify for this credit. I spent around 180,000 building my house. Do you think it will apply to me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Ocean County, NJ
228 posts, read 1,007,983 times
Reputation: 110
I'm biting my finger nails waiting to see if the effective date is the day of closing or the day a purchase agreement is signed. So far, nobody really knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 06:35 PM
 
14,809 posts, read 18,811,177 times
Reputation: 11772
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedfx View Post
I'm biting my finger nails waiting to see if the effective date is the day of closing or the day a purchase agreement is signed. So far, nobody really knows.
Maybe, but I really doubt it,
the reason they are doing this is "to make people go and buy houses"

So I doubt is gonna work for you (but who knows)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top