U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 07:46 PM

831 posts, read 2,097,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
As a person who is a renter and would love nothing more than to have a house of my own, I wouldn't participate in this for anything. It reeks of a way for someone to make some heavy duty cash at the expense of those who cling to the hope that just maybe they will win.

These types of scams prey on those with little to no money who will scrape up the hundred in hopes that they could win when in reality if 10,000 other people are involved, there's very little chance that they will.

I could see this attracting bidders in depressed areas where people tend to buy Lotto tickets and pray for a windfall to help them make their way. This type of thing is just cruel.

What if the house is worth $200k and they collect a million dollars in entry fees from the bidders. How much money does the homeowner get? I'm sure very little compared to the "house" who will make a killing off the backs of the people naive enough to participate.
I posted this to get peoples opinons as to this concept. I have read all of them and understand their concerns and sceptisism. However, I felt that I had to reply to your post. If someone has to "scap together" $100 I don't think they should take any chances regardless if its an auction, lottery or even a raffle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 06:18 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,545,587 times
Perhaps I didn't read it all correctly but from how I am understanding it........
Just one other aspect......
If this is so legitimate and the main purpose is to really get the house sold and the house has a true value of $500,000 why is the projected 'take' a million?
Why is it not just $500,000 plus overhead?

Old 02-14-2009, 07:19 AM

831 posts, read 2,097,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Perhaps I didn't read it all correctly but from how I am understanding it........
Just one other aspect......
If this is so legitimate and the main purpose is to really get the house sold and the house has a true value of $500,000 why is the projected 'take' a million?
Why is it not just $500,000 plus overhead?
From what I read the number of seats sold are predetermined by the seller therefore these figures are subject to change. I believe its a case by case situation.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:07 PM

1,213 posts, read 4,240,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
As I have told you many times Mr. Keegan there is nothing in it for me other then the fact I am interested as a seller. I haven't seen any evidence with supporting facts, other then peoples personal opinions, that its not an auction. I find it very hard to believe that this woman would put her career on the line only to defraud people and lose her reputation in the industry. You stated you contacted her. I am not sure if your questions were answered or not but the ones I asked had been.
Go for it! and let us know how it goes!!

Old 02-16-2009, 09:58 AM

4,108 posts, read 7,558,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
Go for it! and let us know how it goes!!

Absolutely! You can be the guinea pig! If it works...awesome! If not, your out $100 and we all get a good laugh

Old 02-16-2009, 10:20 AM

4,507 posts, read 7,827,141 times
I'm already laughing.....

Old 02-16-2009, 12:03 PM

135 posts, read 635,039 times
I am in .......HAHAHA hahahah HAHAHAHA

Old 03-19-2009, 06:26 AM

5 posts, read 6,873 times
Default Infringement of copyright

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
I recently came across a blog called Unique Bid Home Auction where it explains how to buy a home in an auction for under $500 without a mortgage. Buyers can reserve a seat in an auction for $100 and bid low, not high. The reserve seat fees collected actually pay for the cost of the home and the service provided. I am seriously interested in this concept, you might want to check it out and join the community. I heard it will be launching this spring. I think it is an amazing concept, has anyone had any experience with it?

Does anyone know how to contact these people - relevant email address? Their website marcusrealestate.com returns a page not found error. They only seem to have a blog - Unique Bid Home Auction

Our solicitor wishes to contact them regarding a possible infringement of our intellectual property rights.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:04 AM

2,478 posts, read 5,992,576 times
You can do a "whois" lookup on marcusrealestate.com that will show you who registered the domain name. Do a google search for whois

I won't post the info or website though as it probably infringes on the TOS.

[Nerd mode ended]

Old 03-19-2009, 07:46 AM

5 posts, read 6,873 times
Default private message from dmccauley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley
Are you joking? I got so much flack for posting this site.
We received the above private message. Our preference is to answer it publicly.

The question is not asked based on the popularity of your promotion but a genuine concern related to IP infringement. If you have any connection to this company can you please make them aware of the risk.

Thank you oneasterisk.

We tried to find an email address and details of the owners but with no success. (Should have asked the technical team.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or