U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 09:59 AM

831 posts, read 2,098,772 times

Advertisements

going back for one second "For $100 you buy ONE chance in TEN THOUSAND" this isn't true. You can keep on entering amounts in increments from 1 cent to 500... there is no limit on the number of bids you place for your $100.00 (you can place a thousand bids if you want to type that much)The $100.00 fee reserves the seat in the auction so you can bid.

As far as your questions your posed as a seller I'll do more investigating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 10:06 AM

6,159 posts, read 10,905,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
going back for one second "For $100 you buy ONE chance in TEN THOUSAND" this isn't true. You can keep on entering amounts in increments from 1 cent to 500... there is no limit on the number of bids you place for your $100.00 (you can place a thousand bids if you want to type that much)The $100.00 fee reserves the seat in the auction so you can bid.

As far as your questions your posed as a seller I'll do more investigating.
Ohh. Well this makes it even HARDER to "win" the house. For $100, I can place as many bids as I want? OK. I'll bid on all 50,000 available increments. I can't possibly NOT have the winning bid. Of course, since everyone who figures that out will take the same action, NONE of our bids will be unique. What happens to the house? To our seat purchas fees?

Old 02-11-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Ohh. Well this makes it even HARDER to "win" the house. For $100, I can place as many bids as I want? OK. I'll bid on all 50,000 available increments. I can't possibly NOT have the winning bid. Of course, since everyone who figures that out will take the same action, NONE of our bids will be unique. What happens to the house? To our seat purchas fees?
I myself have never engaged in an auction like this, so I am only guessing, but I would think there is a time limit on how long the auction stays open to place your bid. Do you really think you could enter 50,000 numbers in an hour?

Old 02-11-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I myself have never engaged in an auction like this, so I am only guessing, but I would think there is a time limit on how long the auction stays open to place your bid. Do you really think you could enter 50,000 numbers in an hour?
I know that I have access to a few excellent "geeks" who can write a script in about a minute and a half, that would put those bids in for me. I'd have to input the minimum, the maximum, and the increment. The script would do the rest.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:48 AM

[quote=Bill Keegan;7421467]I know that I have access to a few excellent "geeks" who can write a script in about a minute and a half, that would put those bids in for me. I'd have to input the minimum, the maximum, and the increment. The script would do the rest.[/quote

Well Mr. Keegan you just shocked me. You came across as such an honest man with integrity, wouldn't this be considered cheating?lol

Old 02-11-2009, 10:54 AM

408 posts, read 947,793 times
Quote:
Funny this statement is coming from someone who lives in Florida so we'll just add this to "nonsense" as well.
Listen, I don't want to get personal, but take a moment and try to remove yourself from this discussion and listen from the outside. It's a scam, and you should be ashamed for promoting it. Also, not that it's any of your business, but I'm currently living in Florida by default; my parents moved our family here to this miserable state years ago and now I'm tied to it for only (less than) 2 years (job committment). Believe me, I'm counting the days until I move out of this hell on earth. So, take pity on me, knowing that I have to live with these rednecks known as "Floridians," that know of nothing else but to over develop this state and abuse their children. Until then, I'll have to grin and bear it, all the while reading silly scams like this one making peoples' lives all the more miserable.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Well Mr. Keegan you just shocked me. You came across as such an honest man with integrity, wouldn't this be considered cheating?lol
Pointing out that I know people who can do it is not analagous to saying I would do it. I'd never get involved in a lottery like this one in the first place.

And it's only cheating if the rules of her lottery prohibit it. She doesn't seem to be very forthcoming with those details to me, so I can't tell you if her rules would allow this or not.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touretteboy65 View Post
Listen, I don't want to get personal, but take a moment and try to remove yourself from this discussion and listen from the outside. It's a scam, and you should be ashamed for promoting it. Also, not that it's any of your business, but I'm currently living in Florida by default; my parents moved our family here to this miserable state years ago and now I'm tied to it for only (less than) 2 years (job committment). Believe me, I'm counting the days until I move out of this hell on earth. So, take pity on me, knowing that I have to live with these rednecks known as "Floridians," that know of nothing else but to over develop this state and abuse their children. Until then, I'll have to grin and bear it, all the while reading silly scams like this one making peoples' lives all the more miserable.
"Anytime I read nonsense like this, I look for the Florida reference." you were the one who made this statement, not me. If you don't want things to get personal then state your opinion on the subject and keep your snide remarks to yourself. I am not promoting anything. If you took the time to read the dialog between Mr. Keegan and myself you may find that we are disecting the concept. Its also called playing devils advocate. I personally am learning alot.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Pointing out that I know people who can do it is not analagous to saying I would do it. I'd never get involved in a lottery like this one in the first place.

And it's only cheating if the rules of her lottery prohibit it. She doesn't seem to be very forthcoming with those details to me, so I can't tell you if her rules would allow this or not.

so does that mean I can't use your "geeks" to get me springsteen tickets on ticketmaster. lol

to be continued.......

Old 02-11-2009, 11:22 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,151,168 times
I say the OP should try it. After all, if she's so enamored with the idea she should be willing to throw herself on this grenade for the rest of us, so that we can see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or