Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 01:29 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times

Advertisements

Is there something that says the house is worth $500K? You've mentioned that number a few times, and yes, it would be nice to get a $500K house for $500 or less. Is the house in this auction worth that much?

I still don't think there are going to be enough bidders to make this auction ever go live. If this was a legitimate way to sell houses, many people would do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 01:35 PM

831 posts, read 2,436,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
She emailed back to me wtih cutsey little sales phrases. No information. I asked a direct question about how it works, and she told me she'ds get back to me in a day. Still waiting.
You haven't seen just opinions. You've seen a discussion & analysis of facts. And it seems to me that you are simply avoiding the truth those facts present. I can't, for the life of me, figure out why. Perhaps it's becasue selling yrou house in FL has been so difficult to this point. Please, PLEASE, don't let that tempt you into closing your eyes to the obvious truth.

Do this. Since you are interested as a potential house seller. Ask her what happens to you & your house if she doesn't sell enough bidding seats. Do yo have to pay anything in advance? I'm willing to bet she keeps the money, handing out a "credit" to attend another lottery to those who wanted to buy your house. Do you get any of that?

I asked her the question when I had contacted her. She has plenty of inventory right now. But to answer your questions. It would be treated just as if she was my real estate agent listing my home on MLS. Money would not change hands unless there was a sale.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Is there something that says the house is worth $500K? You've mentioned that number a few times, and yes, it would be nice to get a $500K house for $500 or less. Is the house in this auction worth that much?

I still don't think there are going to be enough bidders to make this auction ever go live. If this was a legitimate way to sell houses, many people would do this.
From what I was told this would be the first in the US but its huge in the UK and other countries. There are appraisals upon request

It shows this on the blog
RESERVE SEAT FEE: $100
SEATS REQUIRED: 10,000
REVENUE GENERATED: $1,000,000
HOME VALUE: $500,000
BID RANGE: $.01-$500
CRITERIA: LOWEST UNIQUE BID

Old 02-12-2009, 01:41 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Well, I think you're the lone voice on this one, D. Good luck to you.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:45 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
I spend $100 easily with three kids, play the lottery and buy raffle tickets.
So you are generally stupid with money. This explains your fascination with this auction process.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
So you are generally stupid with money. This explains your fascination with this auction process.

Obviously you must not have children. $100 does not go far now a days. If playing the lottery or buying a raffle ticket classifies you as being stupid then I must share my stupidity with millions of people. Hmm have you ever played? Didn't your mom ever teach you if you don't have something nice to say then say nothing at all.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:07 PM

447 posts, read 1,765,374 times
Quote:
From what I was told this would be the first in the US but its huge in the UK and other countries. There are appraisals upon request

It shows this on the blog
RESERVE SEAT FEE: $100
SEATS REQUIRED: 10,000
REVENUE GENERATED: $1,000,000
HOME VALUE: $500,000
BID RANGE: $.01-$500
CRITERIA: LOWEST UNIQUE BID
I just came back from 3 years in the UK and never heard of this being done there

Old 02-12-2009, 05:59 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
Quote:
Obviously you must not have children. $100 does not go far now a days. If playing the lottery or buying a raffle ticket classifies you as being stupid then I must share my stupidity with millions of people. Hmm have you ever played? Didn't your mom ever teach you if you don't have something nice to say then say nothing at all.
Nope, never played, don't buy raffle tickets and I don't spend that much on the kids on a regular basis. Kids don't have to cost so much. You are right in that lots of people play the lottery but that doesn't make it smart (although it seems to make you feel better about it)....sorry if you don't think that is a 'nice' thing to say but my mom taught me not to suffer fools gladly.

Do you not see that EVERYONE in this thread thinks this idea is a scam or at best a VERY BAD idea?? But, I'm sure everyone is wrong and you will be fine. Good luck.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:24 PM

135 posts, read 718,961 times
common guys.....for $500 ..House...give me a break...I hate this kind of thread;
is it a lottery or something.

They asked me $500 to paint 5 rooms...

may be they sell the house for you for $500...after they received 10000 members to bid.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:33 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
Whole thing is so suspect and so scarey, and just plain phoney. I'm amazed you're so convinced that its legitimate.

One does not have to search very far on the internet to find this would be considered "illegal gambling"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages