U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 01:41 PM

1,490 posts, read 3,341,972 times

Advertisements

So, news reports coming out now - of course lacking in many details, that Fannie/Freddie may begin to allowing refinancing WITHOUT having to be behind on the mortgage AND even if upside down in your loan.

I ve been calling for this for awhile - doesnt apply to me, but I really feel for those folks that are in either ARMS, or higher rate loans - BUT have been paying their loans as agreed. These folks have been unable to refinance because the home wont appraise for the owed amount. My belief is at least part of this new plan will allow for folks with good credit, and no late mortgage payments, will still be allowed to refi into the fixed, lower rates of today.

This is similar to the FHA streamline refi (that I am eligible for but have not yet taken advantage of) where as long as I am current on the mortgage, and the payments will be lowered as a result of my refi, current asset value is not taken into account.

If this true, its a great thing. It helps get many households get more money per month, it gets banks/mortgage brokers some fees, and most importantly will keep some people from just walking away from their houses!

Lets hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or