Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2009, 05:36 PM

782 posts, read 3,789,474 times

Advertisements

Is it possible that I can ask the bank to trade mortgages. What I want to do is upgrade to another house down the road that is foreclose. Example,I owe lets say 200k on my home,but the bank wants 350k for house down the road. I think it's a good trade off. They will be in less trouble money wise on my home. Lets say my home is worth maybe 250 in this economy. The house down the road sold for 450k 2 years ago. Do anyone thinks it's possible? Do you know someone who have done this before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 05:43 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,604,491 times
no, I don't think so since the mortgage is a contract for payment between parties. They might be able to trade houses, but they will have to create a new mortgage contract with you for the new debt and collateral to be valid.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
no, I don't think so since the mortgage is a contract for payment between parties. They might be able to trade houses, but they will have to create a new mortgage contract with you for the new debt and collateral to be valid.
Maybe I didn't say it right. I will buy the bank house for 350k,but they have to buy my house for 200k.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:11 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
I think it is an interesting idea, but the problem is that banks really don't have a means to purchase property...nor are they particularly interested in creative solutions.

So you are talking about purchasing a home from the same lender that owns your home, right? or are you trying to have a lender "unrelated" to your property exchange it for one of theirs?

Old 02-26-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I think it is an interesting idea, but the problem is that banks really don't have a means to purchase property...nor are they particularly interested in creative solutions.

So you are talking about purchasing a home from the same lender that owns your home, right? or are you trying to have a lender "unrelated" to your property exchange it for one of theirs?
Same lender. It does seem like a good Idea to me. I want to upgrade,they want lower loan amount.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:23 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Whips View Post
Same lender. It does seem like a good Idea to me. I want to upgrade,they want lower loan amount.
Well banks have a system for signing over the deed in lieu of foreclosure, so I would think you would want to utilize that system. They would originate a new loan for you on the new property and as part of that deal you would agree to sign over the deed of your home to them. That way when you close you would sign the deed over, and they would use the new loan to pay off the other loan, within their internal systems to "close it out" per se and remove the trust deed from the house.

Then they could do whatever paperwork they needed to sell the new less expensive home which in theory would be easier to sell.

Those are my preliminary thoughts on that idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages